You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-17 21:49:01

pedepy

iwconfig & WEP - how to ?????

hey ... i usually connect to unencrypted wifi hotspots at various locations around the city, and a simple 'iwconfig eth0 essid bob' will usually get me associated, followed by dhcpcd to pull an IP.

now, the other day i was at this other cafe that had a password. The girl gives me the password, and i proceed to try out some stuff. It didnt matter what i tried, I could never associate !

I searched google, man pages, wikis, forums, chat rooms, what have you and nobody seems to know how to connect an encrypted network using iwconfig and dhcpcd !?>??!?!

some ppl have asked about setting up security mode such as WPA or WEP but iwconfig will not let me do that, only setup security mode as 'open', 'restricted' or 'off' ...............

So 90 minutes & a 20$ coffee later, I still couldnt connect ... least to say I was pissed ...

Doesnt anybody else out there connect to encrypted networks using iwconfig ? i got netcfg but it seems like its way overkill for the way i usually do the wifi.

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2008-04-17 22:28:07

ibendiben

Re: iwconfig & WEP - how to ?????

Euhm... man iwconfig? a google search for "iwconfig key"???

key/enc[ryption]
    Used to manipulate encryption or scrambling keys and security mode.
    To set the current encryption key, just enter the key in hex digits as XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX or XXXXXXXX. To set a key other than the current key, prepend or append [index] to the key itself (this won't change which is the active key). You can also enter the key as an ASCII string by using the s: prefix. Passphrase is currently not supported.
    To change which key is the currently active key, just enter [index] (without entering any key value).
    off and on disable and reenable encryption.
    The security mode may be open or restricted, and its meaning depends on the card used. With most cards, in open mode no authentication is used and the card may also accept non-encrypted sessions, whereas in restricted mode only encrypted sessions are accepted and the card will use authentication if available.
    If you need to set multiple keys, or set a key and change the active key, you need to use multiple key directives. Arguments can be put in any order, the last one will take precedence.
    Examples :
    iwconfig eth0 key 0123-4567-89
    iwconfig eth0 key [3] 0123-4567-89
    iwconfig eth0 key s:password [2]
    iwconfig eth0 key [2]
    iwconfig eth0 key open
    iwconfig eth0 key off
    iwconfig eth0 key restricted [3] 0123456789
    iwconfig eth0 key 01-23 key 45-67 [4] key [4]

So basically you add another value assigning the key to iwconfig:
iwconfig wlan0 essid "ESSID1" key "KEY1"; dhcpcd wlan0
And you're settled.
I'm sure there's lots of wiki's providing this same info, and more...  Am I missing something? Maybe you missed the keyword "key" hmm

#3 2008-04-17 22:36:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Coulda been a wpa network too.

pacman -S netcfg2, and see the appropriate wiki page.

#4 2008-04-17 22:37:20

brebs

pedepy wrote:

such as WPA or WEP but iwconfig will not let me do that

Encryption is the job of wpa_supplicant.

#5 2008-04-17 22:47:04

ibendiben

brebs wrote:
pedepy wrote:

such as WPA or WEP but iwconfig will not let me do that

Encryption is the job of wpa_supplicant.

Right, that should be it. Pardon me for my unhelpful post up there...

#6 2008-04-18 02:20:18

pedepy

ibendiben wrote:

Euhm... man iwconfig? a google search for "iwconfig key"???

[deleted] .......

decided to remove post after cooling off ..

to paraphrase, if you havent read, i *have* rtfm, so please *assume* i have rtfm - hence the problem does not lie in any man page wiki or self help book.

will focus energies on either one two things: wpa_supplicant or another internet cafe.

and my team just lost.

it has been a frustrating day.
neutral

Last edited by pedepy (2008-04-18 02:34:18)

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

Board footer