You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-28 02:19:19

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

pacman passive ftp with iptables..

I thought someone might find this useful.

I generally use a rather restrictive permission set for iptables. I have default policies on input chains set to deny. I had forgotten how to allow passive ftp stuff through (ie pacman), so I just looked it up. big_smile That of course, helped me recall..

So, my iptables.save looks like..

*filter
:INPUT DROP [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
COMMIT

Maybe someone will find this useful. big_smile

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2004-05-28 10:26:23

i3839

Re: pacman passive ftp with iptables..

To get normal ftp working in a safe way you can enable the ftp conntrack module (same for other things like IRC). Of course there's nothing wrong with using passive ftp.

#3 2004-05-28 16:36:36

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I actually prefer passive. the server tells the client which port to connect on, so the client opens the second connection (data connection) based on info recieved from the first connection (control connection).

In Active ftp the client tells the server which high number port to use, and the server initiates the second connection to the client...active ftp is a horrible protocol..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2004-05-28 18:21:06

i3839

Normal ftp is a horrible protocol too wink. But yes, passive ftp should be the default.

#5 2004-05-28 19:35:14

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

i3839 wrote:

Normal ftp is a horrible protocol too wink.

So very true.
8)

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer