You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-12 00:56:48

FrozenFox
Website

[SOLVED] Linksys WUSB11 2.8, no wlan0?

Hi,

I've been working trying to get this stupid linksys wireless card working, but to no avail. It would be GREAT if someone has an idea. I have the at97_usb module listed in lsmod, but I cant seem to get the system to see the card and add it to wlan0. ifconfig -a shows only the eth0 and lo, nothing else seems to find wireless. These are from my setup at home in another city, where I used a normal eth0 server setup. I'm sure my setup is something small and silly..

Problematic scenarios to consider:

* My Arch pc in my room can't have internet without wireless.
* I really don't want to move my pc back into the kitchen because it's big, heavy, and was particularly difficult to get on the desk I have it on now if at all possible.
* The kitchen laptop is wired on xp.

I've tried:

* Installing the file (and following the instructions up to the gui part. I use KDEmod) given on http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showp … oduct=1791 , http://cvs.berlios.de/cvstarballs/at76c … oot.tar.gz
* Tweaking with modprobe.conf, with alias wlan0 Linksys-USB11 and another with Linksys-WUSB11
* Getting the PKGBUILD and associated files from aur, then tweaking it to grab from this file http://cvs.berlios.de/cvstarballs/at76c … oot.tar.gz  mentioned in point 1 above and changing the kernel to 2.6.25-ARCH accordingly.
* Fully removing all of the alternate wireless drivers I could find as to prevent conflicts or something.
* Trying other unsuccessful modprobe things, all resulting in no module found, except with at97_usb, which doesnt help.
* Searching WUSB11 on the forums and on google, haven't found anything helpful. The arch wiki available is for a different version.
* Looking into ndiswrapper, but the page seemed to have support for v2.5 and v4 only, which doesnt help me. I looked for the driver anyway, and couldnt find anything but an .exe, nothing with a .inf file. I haven't tried cabextracting that, though, but I want to get it "natively" working if possible..

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-05-17 22:44:42)

#2 2008-05-12 02:12:51

FrozenFox
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Linksys WUSB11 2.8, no wlan0?

After checking dmesg, I found that I missed installing the firmware. I did so (from the file at http://developer.berlios.de/projects/at … 4>at76_usb and the respective pkgbuild from aur), and now wlan0 is being detected, though I'm still not getting a connection to the router or the internet. 1 big step forward.. 1 more to go.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-05-12 03:01:45)

#3 2008-05-12 03:00:53

FrozenFox
Website

dhcpcd wlan0 got it working from there. Now I only need to figure out how to get it working without dhcp. I suspect a setting in one of the .conf settings in /etc similar to my eth0 ones will do the trick. I think I saw one for wireless. How do I disable eth0 and lo from starting automatically (assuming I don't want lo -- I'm not sure) as "up"? I removed them from my rc.conf list of sources, but they still load as 'up' upon reboot. If anyone knows how to get my static ip settings from eth0 to work with that card (a simple template would do, I can fill in most stuff), I'd also appreciate it.

#4 2008-05-12 06:13:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

#5 2008-05-17 22:44:27

FrozenFox
Website

Sorry, been busy for a while here, but here I go.

The first site didn't help me at all, as I had already read through that before your post and disabled eth0 in the interfaces list, but they still kept auto-loading. The solution was to ! one of the modules I had loaded without paying attention.

The second site didn't help at all, as i had already read through that before your post and it does not give any helpful advice as far as my specific card goes, as I suggested earlier by the comment about the wiki not giving any helpful information. The drivers I mentioned I needed to use are not even listed there, nor is the model of my card in any of the lists (v2.5 and v4 were though), nor did the ndiswrapper page list it (only the aforementioned models which already have a native driver).

The third site helped lead me to a solution that I had considered a short time before but never figured out (I incorrectly entered some parts of the file; /etc/network.d/examples/wep-static.example corrected me). Thanks.

For those with the same card, I did this:

1) Installed the at76c503a drivers AND firmware. I installed both from modified PKGBUILDs in AUR which grab and install a local file *no internet on that pc!* instead of one off the net which I copied to that pc via flash drive from the berlios site mentioned above. The pkgbuilds I used are "at76_firmware" and "at76c503a" though the latter is more outdated than the matching at76 pkgbuild. Im not sure if that one works, as these were the easiest to edit to grab local files for me. Rebooted.

2) Checked in the console "ifconfig -a" to see that wlan0 was listed. When it was not, checked that the module was listed under lsmod. When I saw that was ok, I checked to make sure I installed both files mentioned in step 1 (which I hadn't). I checked 'dmesg' without the wireless card, plugged it in, then checked dmesg after it was plugged in for 5 sec to figure out minor issues.

3) Added the file wlan0 to the folder /etc/network.d containing (change to your corresponding info):
CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="A simple WEP encrypted wireless connection"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wep"
ESSID="ENTERNETWORKNAMEHERE"
KEY="ENTERWEPKEYHERE"
IP="static"
IFOPTS="ENTERDESIREDIPHERE netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"  (NOTE: may be 192.168.0.1 for some users) 
DNS1="ENTERYOURDNSHERE1"
DNS2="ENTERYOURDNSHERE2"

4) Added netcfg2 wlan0 to startup automatically once it worked by console (with sudo/root access). I couldn't get my wlan0 settings to work under the net_profiles for rc.conf for some reason, nor any other means I tried, so I just added it to one of the startup scripts with root access. Hackish, I know, but it worked and I was tired of messing with it.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-05-17 23:04:51)

Board footer