You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-21 08:51:49

s3r1al

netcfg2 + wpa_supplicant

i have a problem... i have a problem with me not knowing how to set up netcfg2 with wpa_supplicant...
netcfg2 profile:

CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="fer wlan"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa-config"
ESSID="FERwlan"
WPA_OPTS="-Dwext"
WPA_CONF="/etc/wpa_confs/fer.conf"
IP="dhcp"

my wpa_supplicant conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
ssid="FERwlan"
key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
eap=PEAP
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
identity="asdf"
password="asdf"
}

when i start it with arch assistant, it detects the network but says something is wrong with my wpa_supplicant configuration...

wpa_supplicant works perfectly on its own, but i cant seem to use it with netcfg2.

i have a broadcom4311 wifi card, using b43 module...
plz help

#2 2008-05-21 16:21:44

kobaia

Re: netcfg2 + wpa_supplicant

WPA_CONF="/etc/wpa_confs/fer.conf"

This means you have an erronous path to your wpa_supplicant.conf.

locate wpa_supplicant.conf

I'm guessing its at /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf but find out for yourself. Paste the path that is given here over to your netcfg-profile, and thats one problem less.

WPA_CONF="/etc/wpa-supplicant.conf".

SECURITY="wpa-config"

I'm guessing you mean just wpa.

so
SECURITY="wpa"

Fact is,
why dont you try to use the wiki first? All of this is covered in the wiki with really easy to understand walkthroughs.Its quite a lot that seems messy to me but you should learn how to do this instead of having someone fill in the gaps for you. Just search for netcfg2 and then wpa supplicant, wlassistant is also a nifty tool if you are at loss with the cli.

#3 2008-05-21 22:55:07

s3r1al

kobaia wrote:

I'm guessing its at /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf but find out for yourself. Paste the path that is given here over to your netcfg-profile, and thats one problem less.

I'm guessing you mean just wpa.

so
SECURITY="wpa"

Fact is,
why dont you try to use the wiki first? All of this is covered in the wiki with really easy to understand walkthroughs.Its quite a lot that seems messy to me but you should learn how to do this instead of having someone fill in the gaps for you. Just search for netcfg2 and then wpa supplicant, wlassistant is also a nifty tool if you are at loss with the cli.

i know where my wpa_supplicant conf is, i have a bunch i created for various networks, the path is ok.
i dont mean just wpa, i read that u must put wpa-config to use an existing wpa_supplicant conf
i read the wiki, read all the man pages, but i couldnt find an example how to use wpa_supplicant with netcfg...

#4 2008-05-21 23:35:11

gain

with netcfg2 I don't need to set the wpa_supplicant.conf file...
I've only the profile file /etc/network.d/wireless (you can name this file however you want), and I can activate that profile with netcfg2 like this:

# netcfg2 wireless

where wireless is the name of my configuration file.

you can find many examples in /etc/network.d/examples
here the /etc/network.d/examples/wpa.example file

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="mynetwork"
KEY="SomePasskey"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=20

I've just replaced wlan0 with my interface, mynetwork with my essid, SomePasskey with my wpa password and saved it as /etc/network.d/wireless
After that, # netcfg2 wireless and I'm connected with my wifi router...
pretty simple, isn't it? smile

Last edited by gain (2008-05-21 23:36:21)

Micro S0ft? is that a kind of toliet paper?

#5 2008-05-22 21:32:46

s3r1al

wpa personal is simple to set up... but this network is wpa enterprise... so i need to use wpa_supplicant...

Board footer