You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-02 07:31:48

violagirl23

CPU temperature seems rather high

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad R61, and my temperature under normal load seems to stagnate around 50 degrees Celcius, which seems kind of high. When put under heavy load (compiling a kernel) it steadily rose to around 66 degrees celcius before I stopped the operation. While under heavy load,  /proc/acpi/ibm/fan reported 3202, and under normal load now it reports 3125. Is it just me, or this CPU temperature kind of high? What can I do about it?
PS: Because it's a thinkpad, I can't use lm_sensors. thinkpad_acpi module takes care of such things.

Last edited by violagirl23 (2008-06-02 07:34:56)

"You can't just ask to borrow somebody else's lampshade. It's AWKWARD!"

#2 2008-06-02 07:35:24

bangkok_manouel

Re: CPU temperature seems rather high

you'll some interesting stuff here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=48944

[edit] check speedstep [/edit]

Last edited by bangkok_manouel (2008-06-02 07:36:02)

#3 2008-06-02 07:57:10

violagirl23

So what should I do when I'm running on heavy load? 66 degrees Celcius seems rather high. I put it on powersave and it went down to 800 MHz while compiling the kernel, but of course that made it really slow. I'm just nervous I'll overheat it.
Oh one more thing... I also noticed that my AC adapter is REALLY hot. Still not hot enough to burn, but hot enough that you jerk your hand away if not expecting it, so pretty darn hot. What could be causing that, do you have any idea?

#4 2008-06-02 08:45:47

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Sounds pretty normal to my experience... Yes, it's high, but I wouldn't stress until it goes over about 70 or so smile

#5 2008-06-02 08:52:00

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

With linux-phc, I have an ultra cool laptop now with the max freq running with the voltage of the lowest freq, except for that bloody 60C hard disk!

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#6 2008-06-02 13:48:43

violagirl23

Hm. Seems kind of risky. I'd probably end up blowing my computer up. ;-;

#7 2008-06-02 13:57:03

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

schivmeister wrote:

With linux-phc, I have an ultra cool laptop now with the max freq running with the voltage of the lowest freq

Can you give me more information about that please? Even a link is welcome smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#8 2008-06-02 14:16:24

bangkok_manouel

finferflu wrote:
schivmeister wrote:

With linux-phc, I have an ultra cool laptop now with the max freq running with the voltage of the lowest freq

Can you give me more information about that please? Even a link is welcome smile

http://phc.athousandnights.de/

looks like stock kernel is already patched
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=linux- … d49cc7ed3e

#9 2008-06-02 14:17:59

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

bangkok_manouel wrote:

Thanks, that was concise and exhaustive smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#10 2008-06-02 18:06:14

signor_rossi

schivmeister wrote:

With linux-phc, I have an ultra cool laptop now with the max freq running with the voltage of the lowest freq, except for that bloody 60C hard disk!

Your hard disk surely won't last long, what brand and model is yours?

When I first got my nx8220 it easily went up over 70°C and it still does, but I guess that is normal for that kind of model. I got replaced the motherboard once when inquiring for another fault and since that it runs a little cooler and doesn't go up over 70°C running at the highest frequency without load, it only does it under load now, so something was faulty for sure.
I have also experienced very hot AC adapters so far. I had a Pavillon laptop for one evening and an out of control ITunes installation (Windows machine) made one core of the processor run at full power and the totally empty battery was charging without me noticing until the case of the power brick relaxed with a loud noise (crack!). I touched it and it was incredibly hot, but fortunately nothing seemed to have taken damage.
@violagirl23
You probably don't have to lower the frequency to 800MHz, try the second fastest frequency.

Bye, signor_Rossi.

Last edited by signor_rossi (2008-06-02 18:26:48)

#11 2008-06-03 03:19:01

bangkok_manouel

finferflu wrote:
bangkok_manouel wrote:

Thanks, that was concise and exhaustive smile

well, concise, exhaustive and out-of-date tongue
it looks like the patch has been removed from latest arch patchpacks
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=linux- … e0534104ce

#12 2008-06-03 05:35:30

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

violagirl23 wrote:

So what should I do when I'm running on heavy load? 66 degrees Celcius seems rather high. I put it on powersave and it went down to 800 MHz while compiling the kernel, but of course that made it really slow. I'm just nervous I'll overheat it.
Oh one more thing... I also noticed that my AC adapter is REALLY hot. Still not hot enough to burn, but hot enough that you jerk your hand away if not expecting it, so pretty darn hot. What could be causing that, do you have any idea?

My CPU happily tops out at 72° C when compiling or stuff like that (it's a passively cooled ULV Intel). So you should be just fine. If your CPU really gets too hot, and your system is configured well, ACPI should shut your system down that very second (I had it before with an AMD-based laptop that went to 80° C and beyond wink). After all, that's why those things sport a temperature sensor - to shut down to prevent overheating.

Last edited by B (2008-06-03 05:43:55)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#13 2008-06-03 06:01:58

Megamixman

You're temps seem fine for proc. The thing to really watch out for in terms of laptop temepratures is the damn hard drive. It is way more sensitive to high heat and considering most laptops have 1 big heat spreader for basically everything in there, you're more likely to fry your HD before your CPU.

That being said, it doesn't seem like the linux phc patch is being dev'ed anymore. That and their forum is littered with spam. Anyone know what happened?

#14 2008-06-03 06:28:37

violagirl23

I think my hard drive temperature is okay, at 30 degrees Celcius.
(GPU's around 4 degrees higher than CPU on average, and battery's about 31 C).
So that's not too bad? All right, I've never really had a laptop before, so I am just so clueless about what is okay and what is not.

#15 2008-06-03 09:46:34

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I fear for my laptop HDD (those Hitachi ones common in notebooks). It's been this hot for over a year already. I'm on the move so a cooler pad is extra bulk. Anyway none of my important data is on it so when it does die, I'm just gonna replace it with a CF big_smile

Regarding linux-phc, it was probably taken out due to being outdated. However there's an updated one here.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#16 2008-06-05 03:33:11

offshoreip

Your temps seem rather normal. I use a laptop cooling pad. My current one it the Belkin FSL001.
With it my ASUS W7J notbook temps normally run 45 C on battery and about 48-50 (avg load) on AC.
I have used other laptop coolers (admitedly not brand name) and this one is superior in design and portability (very light and small) You can really feel cool air moving under it because of the high speed fan and airflow space design. Maybe not for large laptop though.

#17 2008-06-05 09:08:23

moljac024

I've been looking into that belkin cooling pad....would it fit with my 15.4" laptop ? What is a large laptop in this case ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#18 2008-06-07 02:28:29

steve_v

[rant]
Hah, IME laptops = heaters.
Even my dinosaur P2 celeron lappy gets to 70C CPU under load BEFORE the BIOS turns on the fan.
I think the idea is to hold off running the cooling as long as possible so cpuidle/speedstep can allow the chip to cool before using battery to run the fan.
As for the AC adaptor heating up, this smacks of poor design, the PSU should be able to maintain full load + battery charging for at least as long as a full charge from empty takes. Anything else is cutting corners based on 'yeah but how often will THAT happen'.

If your ACPI setup is not doing what it should, power consumption + heat output will be excesive under no/low load but full load power is full load power, as there is nothing to turn off.
My attitude would be, set up acpi and speedstep then ignore the temps. If it cooks under load then the hardware cooling solution is rubbish.

Seriously though, your temps sound quite normal. Look up the specs for your CPU on processorfinder.intel.com (or the AMD equivalent) you will probably be surprised at how high the max temperatures are. As for the AC adaptor - Don't run full speed while the battery is charging? The damn thing should be designed to handle it.

Do try and keep the HDD cool if you can - it is spinning down when not used right? Modern HDDs generate a fair bit of heat themselves when running and there ain't much airflow around the disc in most laptops.
EDIT: your HDD temps look sweet.

Have you played with laptop_mode?

[/rant]

Steve.

Last edited by steve_v (2008-06-07 02:30:59)

#19 2008-06-10 05:08:33

violagirl23

No, I have not played with laptop_mode. Perhaps the placement of my hard drive in the Thinkpad R61 is already near a fan... or something. Well, it's comforting to hear about the CPU max temps. I ended up buying that cooling pad after all because they had it at the store when I went to buy my case. It doesn't lower the CPU temperature very much but lowers the hard drive temperature down to the low 20s, ironically. But it acts as a nice stand as well, and keeps your lap cool, so I'm pretty happy with it. My 15.4'' laptop DOES hang off the sides of the pad but it is not obtrusive or annoying to me at all, if that helps the poster who asked about that at all.

#20 2008-06-10 09:11:05

offshoreip

Moljac
The Belkin FSL001,
It just fits my 13.3" laptop- ASUS W7J. Anything bigger than 14" will probably work fine but there will be some overhang since it's smallish.  You decide if that's a problem. If you can, try the Belkin first (with your notebook)  before you buy. The sucker probably cools anything well though.

#21 2008-06-11 22:44:14

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

laptop-mode-tools should be next on your pacman -S list. wink
It provides exhaustive power control features that you will no doubt love. smile
Heavily commented config file also makes it easy.

#22 2008-10-07 23:43:57

TjPhysicist
Website

I have a dell D610, and mine is CONSTANTLY in the 90', should this concern me??? According to acpi the critical trip point is 101C

-Tj

-Tj
Now reborn as Tjh_ (to keep it similar to my username in other places)

#23 2008-10-07 23:48:36

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

TjPhysicist wrote:

I have a dell D610, and mine is CONSTANTLY in the 90', should this concern me??? According to acpi the critical trip point is 101C

My D610 is idling about 58 degrees. I'd be thinking 90 is waaaay high, but is that at idle or under heavy load?

#24 2008-10-08 00:00:27

TjPhysicist
Website

thats me doing nothing. With no X at all it goes down to 80's maybe. But when I start X  (dwm) and just let it sit (i.e. empty dwm desktop no windows), I get 95ish. Whatever i do its around that, even if im compiling firefox while playing with Compiz on gnome, WHILE watching a video. still 95ish. Perhaps my cpufreq is being retarded?

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-10-08 00:06:56)

-Tj

#25 2008-10-08 00:27:46

TjPhysicist
Website

just checked and yes it IS my cpufreq governer being stupid, i am using the ondemand governer and it NEVER EVER goes below max speed, EVER. I am assuming the difference between ondemand and perfomance WAS that it actually changes the speed sometimes.

-tj

-Tj

Board footer