You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-06 23:56:18

jmull

Server connection problems

Im using Archlinux as a fileserver for my three hom computers, one being Win98, and two being XP.  Now, the way I have everything connected, the cable modem runs to the router, and the router runs to one eth card on the server.  Another eth card on the server goes to my hub where the other three computers are connected.  My problem is that ive got no activity from the eth card connecting to the hub, so the server has internet access, but nothing else.  Ive checked, and both eth cards have the correct modules and both work fine connected to the router.  Any ideas whats wrong here?

#2 2004-06-07 07:55:55

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Server connection problems

possabilities:
1) Bad NIC
2) Bad network cable (could also be wrong type--ie crossover instead of straight-through)
3) plugged into wrong port on hub (make sure it is plugged into a normal port, and not a crossover one--some older hubs had a port specific to crossovers)
4) hardware is fine, but something is misconfigures (this should be easy to tell...do the lights on the hub/nic light up?)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-06-07 13:09:24

jmull

Well, ive basically decided that its 4, but, im trying to figure out where I misconfigured it.  Im guessing its somewhere in /etc/rc.conf though.  What would I put in for eth1?

#4 2004-06-07 16:36:15

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

you should have it statically set, since there is not dhcp server on that network.
ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.1 up broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

and then have your other machines on the hub have ip addresses in the 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254 range...

If you want to share internet access via the internet connected machine to the rest of them, it will take some work with iptables...but there is a good deal of info on doing that already in the forums somewhere I believe...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer