You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-03 03:42:13

drewbug01
Website

err, wlan0: ioctl SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

Ok, backstory.

Got an old computer for my uncle, and we're trying to set it up in his basement on a wireless lan. He has a small online bookstore down there, and needs a computer close. Its not TOO far to run a line, but we figured a small wireless network would suffice. He also plans on getting a laptop, so its a Good Thing for the future.

Anyways, so after much fighting with the hardware (Win XP failed, several versions of Linux failed to install), I finally got Arch to install. Yay! (latest rc install image)
Or not.

We bought a small usb wifi card. It uses the RTL8187B chipset. Linux sees the card, and I got it to work with ndiswrapper. I can see the network, and associate with it. However, when I try to run dhcpcd to pull an IP address, I get this error:

err, wlan0: ioctl SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

Now, before we jump to conclusions... I had my laptop over there as well. I was also unable to connect, with the exact same error. My laptop uses an Atheros chipset, although I'm also using ndiswrapper for my card. My laptop connects fine at home. I'm typing this right now on wifi.

So, I'm not sure where to proceed. I've done extensive googling, and it appears that that error results when the driver tries to set the MTU.
Now I'm not entirely sure what the MTU is, although Wikipedia shed some light.
From my googling, I've seen that some people get this error when trying to set their MTU manually, and some get this when trying to bring up an interface... so I'm not sure how to interpret my results.

So my question is this: Is this some kind of issue with ndiswrapper? Or is it more likely an issue with the wifi router/dsl modem?

Any advice?

Board footer