You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-07 03:38:29

band-aid

pm-suspend fails, I've tried everything

I am on a completely clean install. Nothing but acpi, cpufreq, and pm-utils. It suspends fine, but the monitor is completely black when it comes back up. I have added resume=/dev/sda2 to my menu.lst. I have added the quirks to my hal script. I have added my user to the power group and I am running it as root. I read somewhere that the newer version of this package had some issues, should I try an older one? How would I do this? Thanks for your time.

#2 2008-06-07 04:49:55

smurnjiff

Re: pm-suspend fails, I've tried everything

I read somewhere that the newer version of this package had some issues, should I try an older one? How would I do this?

Take a look at the wiki for "Downgrading Packages": http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrade_packages

#3 2008-06-08 09:54:37

MAC!EK

Does this work for you?

echo mem > /sys/power/state

Mayby try to disable video quirks in pm-suspend?

edit /etc/pm/config.d/config and add:
HOOK_BLACKLIST="99video"

#4 2008-06-08 23:05:44

kjon

Check the following:

I got the same trouble as you, and I needed to "compose" a sort of suspend/hibernate script in order to get the stuff working.

Here is my "invention", make it executable an place it on /etc/pm/sleep

#! /bin/bash
case $1 in
    suspend|hibernate)
    chvt 1
    sync && sync && sync
    echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    /etc/rc.d/wicd stop
    dhcpcd -k ath0
    killall wpa_supplicant
    ifconfig ath0 down
    modprobe -rf ath_pci
    ;;
    resume|thaw)
    vbetool post
    modprobe ath_pci
    ifconfig ath0 up
    /etc/rc.d/wicd start
    /usr/lib/wicd/autoconnect.py &
    chvt 7
    ;;
esac

Now, a few words about my script.

1. First of all, move to the first console and sync to hell. This avoids data lost when playing with suspend/hibernating stuff.
2. Discard disk buffers ==> This shrinks the hibernation image by the half.
3. Shut down network and related modules ==> I have found this is a very sensible point. A lot of laptops fail resuming due to crappy written drivers.
4. Perform the suspend/Hibernation itself

5. When resuming, reset the video hardware. You might see nothing on your first console. Dont worry, just hit enter.

Adapt this script to your own needs, but according to your problem, *don't* delete the "vbetool" line.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#5 2008-06-11 01:22:04

loyx

odd.  I had the exact same problem and doing pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on fixed it for me (didnt use any other quirks)

#6 2008-07-13 18:07:46

steve___

kjon, nice.  Thanks for posting this script.  I made some minor changes to it and now 'pm-suspend' works for me.

-steve

EDIT:  err, I had the wrong thread open.  The script of yours which worked for me is found in this thread:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=51188

Last edited by steve___ (2008-07-13 18:33:47)

#7 2009-10-27 08:38:09

measure

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but I have a related problem and see no reason to create a new thread.  A while ago, when I installed wicd and my pm-suspend started failing, I came to the conclusion that it was indeed wicd (after stopping it and trying to run pm-suspend).  Consequently, I found this very thread and fixed my issues.  However, recently, while resuming,  I sometimes do not return to my X session.  The keyboard and wifi lights turn on my laptop turns back on, the screen changes from a black with no background light to having some sort of lights (as though a black screen saver were on).  Yet I am left with an unusable computer (as far as I can tell).  For the life of me I cannot figure out what is causing this, as it seems to be random.  For example, I could suspend/resume several times without a problem.  Yet, another time it will no resume correctly.  To test this, I rebooted my system.  And with just the basic daemons loaded, and my X session closed (looking at a blank terminal after logging in), I closed my laptop lid.  I opened it, and everything resumed perfectly well.  I waited a few minutes, did this again, and everything was great.  I waited another few minutes, closed the lid.  Opened it, and to my horror!, the issue occurred.  Granted my laptop is over four years old, and possibly on the fritz, I'd really like to figure this out.  If it helps, I have a (stupid) Compaq Presario V2000 model.  I can only imagine that it is some issue with hal or the new ati drivers in the kernels (my system is up to date with the arch repositories as of 1:30am pacifict time 10/27/09).

Anyway, I've rambled on enough.  If anyone has any insight or any advice which might allow me to pinpoint the problem, I'd really love to hear.

Thanks so much if you actually read all of this,
Ryan

EDIT: This morning as I opened the lid, not only did it not resume correctly, but the wifi, keyboard and trackpad lights did not come on.  Just a cokplete failure to resume.  Heavens me!

Last edited by measure (2009-10-27 15:12:04)

#8 2009-10-27 17:58:03

fijam
Website

#9 2009-10-27 18:09:57

MadTux

Did you consider that the reason may be KMS, which is enabled by default? KMS prevented suspend/resume on my laptop. I had to add "nomodeset" as described here

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI … _.28KMS.29

to make it working again.

#10 2009-10-28 01:35:38

measure

Thanks guys!

I first tried the nomodset addition to menu.lst with no luck.  This actually broke resume everytime (which in a way was more comforting than my previous condition).  However, I removed autodetect from the HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf and ran `mkinitcpio -p kernel26`  After reboot, I tested it 10 times in a row.  Each time I had a proper return!  Unless something strange occurs, I'd consider this problem solved for me.

Again, thank you guys so much.  In retrospect, this really was the wrong place to post, and I should have done some more searching.  The problem was I still in some way thought this was maybe a wicd problem, so all of my searches included wicd as a search term.  I cannot believe I did not have the insight to realize this all happened after a kernel upgrade.  This is not to say, however, that wicd does not significantly mess up my pm-suspend; it certainly does!  But this was not my issue anymore.

Thanks,
Ryan

Board footer