You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-11 12:34:24

Rokixz
Website

How to undelete data from Ext3

I've just delete some data from my home directory. Do anybody knows how to undelete?

http://ispconfig.lt - ISPConfig 3 based hosting. Coming Soon!

#2 2008-06-11 13:59:50

Endperform
Website

Re: How to undelete data from Ext3

Here's something you can try (but I can't vouch for it): http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html

Definitely not for the faint of heart, and even then there's no guarantee you'll get everything back, because a portion of the disk where your deleted files were at could have been overwritten.  The moral of the story is, if it's something you care about, make sure you back it up somewhere. smile  Not trying to lecture or anything, but seeing people asking about undeletes when precautionary steps could have been taken just makes me wonder is all.

Last edited by Endperform (2008-06-11 14:03:10)

#3 2008-06-13 06:06:09

joephantom
Website

Ext should have:

Wikipedia: ZFS article
"Snapshots and clones
An advantage of copy-on-write is that when ZFS writes new data, the blocks containing the old data can be retained, allowing a snapshot version of the file system to be maintained. ZFS snapshots are created very quickly, since all the data composing the snapshot is already stored; they are also space efficient, since any unchanged data is shared among the file system and its snapshots."

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward - Mikhail Bakunin

#4 2008-06-13 06:33:26

droog

heh your post makes me admit my defeat earlier today. i had a thunar custom action for folders to sudo rm -rf

After Thunar My life got flipped turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell you how I rm rf'd Desktop/

Nevermind i did something stupid and lost some stuff on ext3 and unless in is really really very so very important it is definately NOT worth it.

#5 2008-06-13 08:15:52

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

My manager accidentally deleted a very important reporting folder from an ext3 partition a few years ago without a backup... He spent many hours of paid time and never got it back - I don't like your chances.

Board footer