You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-26 19:40:50

COMMUNISTCHINA
Website

Noob Network Questions

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network

I desperately need some explanations. sad

At school, we all have our own IPs, but when we go to whatismyip.com, every IP appears to be the same.
Based on this, I guess I need to do the static IP configuration?

You need:

* Your static IP address,
    * The netmask,
    * The broadcast address,
    * Your gateway,
    * Your nameservers' IP addresses,
    * Your domain name.

How do I get this information?
Not at school yet, but I need internet/wifi for classes, and I can't spend two weeks trying to get it to work when I get there.

How do I know to use this configuration as opposed to DHCP?

i don't know you that well.

#2 2008-06-26 19:45:12

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: Noob Network Questions

If everyone is getting the same wan ip from whaismyip.org, but you each have a different ip on the lan, then you are probably using DHCP...which, incidentally, is very easy to configure in Arch.

#3 2008-06-26 19:50:09

COMMUNISTCHINA
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

If everyone is getting the same wan ip from whaismyip.org, but you each have a different ip on the lan, then you are probably using DHCP...which, incidentally, is very easy to configure in Arch.

Can you explain this for me?
DHCP is easy, though, no doubt. smile

When would I need to do the static IP configuration?

#4 2008-06-26 19:56:58

lucke

It depends on how the router is set up. If it runs a DHCP server, go with it. If it doesn't, you will have to manually set (static) IPs on clients and manually point to the gateway (router) and DNS servers (probably also router).

#5 2008-06-26 20:08:41

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

lucke wrote:

It depends on how the router is set up. If it runs a DHCP server, go with it. If it doesn't, you will have to manually set (static) IPs on clients and manually point to the gateway (router) and DNS servers (probably also router).

Of course, Lucke is correct, there is a chance that the lan is static. A few ways to tell are:
1. Ask your 'network administrator' (don't you hate when people and operating systems tell you to do this?)
2. Check your lan ip, release your lan ip, then check your lan ip again. If you get the same IP, chances are good that the lan is static. If you get a new IP, it is dynamic; DHCP.
If you need help doing this, let us know.
EDIT: BTW, ignore the above, what OS are you using now, and how is it configured? That should have been our first question. tongue

Last edited by Misfit138 (2008-06-26 20:15:41)

#6 2008-06-26 20:19:00

COMMUNISTCHINA
Website

Misfit138 wrote:
lucke wrote:

Of course, Lucke is correct, there is a chance that the lan is static. A few ways to tell are:
1. Ask your 'network administrator' (don't you hate when people and operating systems tell you to do this?)
2. Check your lan ip, release your lan ip, then check your lan ip again. If you get the same IP, chances are good that the lan is static. If you get a new IP, it is dynamic; DHCP.
If you need help doing this, let us know.
EDIT: BTW, ignore the above, what OS are you using now, and how is it configured? That should have been our first question. tongue

I had been using Fedora 8, and I have no idea how to find out how it is configured.

#7 2008-06-26 20:44:14

lucke

ifconfig, route and /etc/resolv.conf should show you all relevant information.

But as I understand, you won't know what you're dealing with until you get there (school?). When you get there, try DHCP. If it won't work, admin of the network should give you all needed information (IP/subnet, gateway, DNS servers - you probably wouldn't be able to figure it on your own).

Last edited by lucke (2008-06-26 20:50:33)

#8 2008-06-26 20:55:06

vuboy

By the sounds of things the network is natted/proxied.

VB

#9 2008-07-02 01:13:55

jordanwb

Having just finished Cisco's CCNA course in High School; At your location you have what's called a NAT router (Network Address Translation), when you use a computer to access the net, the router changes your internal IP to the router's external IP. Hence the same external IP.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by jordanwb (2008-07-02 01:14:11)

Board footer