You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-04 15:51:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

[SOLVED]Errors? on startx

I normally do my login at tty and then issue the startx command. When I hit Ctrl + Alt + F1 to see the vc/1, it has a bunch of things listed

xauth : creating new authority file /home/inxsible/.serverauth.xxxx

X.Ord X Server 1.4.2
Release Date: 11 June 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.25-ARCH i686
Current Operating System: Linux arch 2.6.25-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 14 18:07:19 CEST 2008 i686
Build Date: 21 June 2008 05:47:59PM

Before reporting problems, check http:wiki.x.org
          to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**)from config file, (==) default setting,
              (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
              (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 4 11:29:05 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II)  Module "ramdac" already built-in
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
which: no hsetroot in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core:/opt/qt/bin)
which: no esetroot in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core:/opt/qt/bin)
which: no gnome-settings-daemon in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core:/opt/qt/bin)
which: no xfce-mcs-manager in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core:/opt/qt/bin)
which: no start_kdeinit in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core:/opt/qt/bin)

I am concerned about the last few lines. I know I haven't installed any of the gnome, kde or xfce and not even hsetroot and esetroot. Where is this info getting pulled from? Do I have to be worried and how do I get rid of it?

Also what about the font path element thing?

Also when I start conky, I see that some of the output is displayed on vc/1. I never saw that on any other distro...maybe I should check again in Debian if that happens....

Conky forked to background, pid is 2610

Conky: desktop window (c1) is root window
Conky: window type - override
Conky: drawing to created window (a00001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-07 18:02:19)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2008-07-05 11:17:15

ST.x
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Errors? on startx

hmm the conky output is normal but I think i've seen 'Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!' as well and don't think that and the 'which:..' messages are problems.

#3 2008-07-05 11:58:46

Factory

Could you post your .xinitrc, please?

#4 2008-07-05 15:32:10

synorgy
Website

My guess is that you're using openbox as a window manager and are attempting to start the session. That 'openbox-session' reads ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh which has logic to start many common setting managers and set the wallpaper if it was set before. However, you'll get some 'errors' if you have none of these installed. If you want to get rid of those errors (even though they're not hurting anything) - just open that autostart.sh in a text editor and comment out all of the lines (or delete them if you won't ever use them).

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#5 2008-07-05 19:00:51

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Factory wrote:

Could you post your .xinitrc, please?

Here's my xinitrc

cat .xinitrc 
#!/bin/sh

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#

# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# exec icewm
exec openbox-session
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox
# exec ratpoison
# exec dwm
# ... or any other WM of your choosing ...

BTW...I checked it on my Debian install...and when I go back to tty, I see none of those "errors" on screen.

I know they are not hurting anything(supposedly), because I can do everything on my machine pretty normally, but I'd still like to know what's causing it.

Seems like its using the tty as a log console? But why would it want to look for xfce-mcs-manager and the kde and gnome stuff. Of course it won't find it, coz its not even installed

And those errors are not the only ones, I even get some when I start pcmanfm, something about not being able to connect to hal, even though I have hal installed and running on startup under rc.xml

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-05 19:32:56)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2008-07-05 19:02:20

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

synorgy wrote:

My guess is that you're using openbox as a window manager and are attempting to start the session. That 'openbox-session' reads ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh which has logic to start many common setting managers and set the wallpaper if it was set before. However, you'll get some 'errors' if you have none of these installed. If you want to get rid of those errors (even though they're not hurting anything) - just open that autostart.sh in a text editor and comment out all of the lines (or delete them if you won't ever use them).

This is my autostart.sh file. I have nothing much in there except to start conky and fbpanel and getting my last set wallpaper.

#!/bin/sh
# Run the system-wide support stuff
. $GLOBALAUTOSTART

# Programs to launch at startup
conky &
eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &

# Programs that will run after Openbox has started
(sleep 2 && fbpanel) &[murtuza@arch ~]$

I don't see any apps which are not installed. Conky is installed and it works just fine in the GUI...so does fbpanel. and Feh is installed as well.

I also get errors on dclock - which fbpanel uses. this is what the dclock errors say :

dclock: use 'tclock' plugin for text version of a time and date
dclock: in this version ClockFmt is limited to one of these
dclock: %I:%M
dclock: %R
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-05 19:09:16)

Forum Rules

#7 2008-07-05 19:40:33

ghostHack

The conky output is normal, if you start a conky instance from a terminal you will see that output, its harmless.

The

. $GLOBALAUTOSTART

in your local autostart file makes openbox read the system-wide settings first (/etc/xdg/openbox/autostart.sh).  The 'errors' you see come from the following peice of code

# Set a background color
BG=""
if which hsetroot >/dev/null; then
    BG=hsetroot
else
    if which esetroot >/dev/null; then
        BG=esetroot
    else
        if which xsetroot >/dev/null; then
            BG=xsetroot
        fi
    fi
fi
test -z $BG || $BG -solid "#303030"

# D-bus
if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi

# Make GTK apps look and behave how they were set up in the gnome config tools
if test -x /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
  /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
elif which gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
  gnome-settings-daemon &
# Make GTK apps look and behave how they were set up in the XFCE config tools
elif which xfce-mcs-manager >/dev/null; then
  xfce-mcs-manager n &
fi

# Preload stuff for KDE apps
if which start_kdeinit >/dev/null; then
  LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup &
fi

It's basically looking for different ways to set the background and for any service daemons to be started.  The messages you see are just the normal output to STDERR from which/test if you want to get rid of them you coud remove the $GLOBALAUTOSTART line.

EDIT: just spoted this line "And those errors are not the only ones, I even get some when I start pcmanfm, something about not being able to connect to hal, even though I have hal installed and running on startup under rc.xml".  HAL should be started as a system daemon in rc.conf, not in openbox's rc.xml (was that a typo? if so check what groups your user is a member of)

Last edited by ghostHack (2008-07-05 19:44:33)

#8 2008-07-05 19:48:43

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ghostHack wrote:

The conky output is normal, if you start a conky instance from a terminal you will see that output, its harmless.

Correct, but why use tty for it?

ghosthack wrote:

The

. $GLOBALAUTOSTART

in your local autostart file makes openbox read the system-wide settings first (/etc/xdg/openbox/autostart.sh).  The 'errors' you see come from the following peice of code

# Set a background color
BG=""
if which hsetroot >/dev/null; then
    BG=hsetroot
else
    if which esetroot >/dev/null; then
        BG=esetroot
    else
        if which xsetroot >/dev/null; then
            BG=xsetroot
        fi
    fi
fi
test -z $BG || $BG -solid "#303030"

# D-bus
if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi

# Make GTK apps look and behave how they were set up in the gnome config tools
if test -x /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
  /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
elif which gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
  gnome-settings-daemon &
# Make GTK apps look and behave how they were set up in the XFCE config tools
elif which xfce-mcs-manager >/dev/null; then
  xfce-mcs-manager n &
fi

# Preload stuff for KDE apps
if which start_kdeinit >/dev/null; then
  LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup &
fi

It's basically looking for different ways to set the background and for any service daemons to be started.  The messages you see are just the normal output to STDERR from which/test if you want to get rid of them you coud remove the $GLOBALAUTOSTART line.

I kept the globalautostart line, because I was not sure what else was in the global and I didn't want anything to NOT start. But will try that out now

ghosthack wrote:

EDIT: just spoted this line "And those errors are not the only ones, I even get some when I start pcmanfm, something about not being able to connect to hal, even though I have hal installed and running on startup under rc.xml".  HAL should be started as a system daemon in rc.conf, not in openbox's rc.xml (was that a typo? if so check what groups your user is a member of)

Whoops !! my bad. Yes that was a typo.  I did mean that I started hal in rc.conf. The rc's in both Arch and Openbox got me confused.

Forum Rules

#9 2008-07-05 20:00:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Ok. progress !!

After removing the globalautostart, I was able to get rid of the gnome.xfce and kde related stuff. But I still get the Conky and dclock ouput on tty.

What I need to figure out is what file is pointing to vc/1 as a dump for logs and errors?

Forum Rules

#10 2008-07-05 23:03:53

ghostHack

Well, startx is just a bash script that processes various files and starts the xserver with the appropriate arguments.  Therefore, unless it re-directs any output from the programs that are started you will see them on STDOUT/STDERR, i.e. vc/1 since thats where you are running startx from. 

If you don't see anything in Debian then maybe the Debian verson of startx starts the xserver with a '> /dev/null 2>&1' appended to it, this will send all output to /dev/null.  I can't test this however since its been a long time since I used debian.

#11 2008-07-05 23:15:01

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ghostHack wrote:

Well, startx is just a bash script that processes various files and starts the xserver with the appropriate arguments.  Therefore, unless it re-directs any output from the programs that are started you will see them on STDOUT/STDERR, i.e. vc/1 since thats where you are running startx from. 

If you don't see anything in Debian then maybe the Debian verson of startx starts the xserver with a '> /dev/null 2>&1' appended to it, this will send all output to /dev/null.  I can't test this however since its been a long time since I used debian.

You are right. Maybe I can add a small startx script in my bash_profile which can point to /dev/null.

Not that it was a huge problem anyway...but its nice to know what's going on.

BTW...if its not too much trouble, could you tell me what the two errors i get are for? It seems to be in conjunction with when I start Opera

EDIT: They look like Java errors - jvm and awt ...maybe I should check my java settings.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-05 23:16:02)

Forum Rules

#12 2008-07-07 14:23:28

Factory

Inxsible wrote:

BTW...if its not too much trouble, could you tell me what the two errors i get are for? It seems to be in conjunction with when I start Opera

EDIT: They look like Java errors - jvm and awt ...maybe I should check my java settings.

Do a google search on the errors. You'll get a lot more information about these errors. I plugged them in to google, myself and got some helpful links:
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showpost … ostcount=9
http://my.opera.com/SolimiaN/blog/2007/ … ed-ignored
http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-us … -work.html

#13 2008-07-07 18:01:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Factory wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Do a google search on the errors. You'll get a lot more information about these errors. I plugged them in to google, myself and got some helpful links:
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showpost … ostcount=9
http://my.opera.com/SolimiaN/blog/2007/ … ed-ignored
http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-us … -work.html

Yes, I did solve it a while back. I should have come back and marked it solved. Sorry

Forum Rules

Board footer