You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-05 03:42:07

sa
Website

[solved] I messed up Xfce with Openbox -_-

I have been having so many stupid problems lately. I should think more before I go messing around with things tongue

Anyway I installed Openbox on top of Xfce to try it out. I decided I didn't want Openbox anymore, so I stopped X and did:

pacman -R openbox obconf

and I typed startxfce4. Now, awesome. All I have is the applications that open up when starting Xfce and no way of doing anything. I searched the forums and the web, and I must be doing something obvious really wrong because I can't figure out how to get Xfce working like it was. Also, I tried typing xfwm4 at boot but it tells me:

(xfwm4:3587): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

X works fine though, it's not like Xfce can't use my monitor because typing startxfce4 just brings me to an X environment with no WM or DE.

Last edited by sa (2008-07-05 04:39:03)

#2 2008-07-05 04:26:41

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] I messed up Xfce with Openbox -_-

sa wrote:

I have been having so many stupid problems lately. I should think more before I go messing around with things tongue

Anyway I installed Openbox on top of Xfce to try it out. I decided I didn't want Openbox anymore, so I stopped X and did:

pacman -R openbox obconf

and I typed startxfce4. Now, awesome. All I have is the applications that open up when starting Xfce and no way of doing anything. I searched the forums and the web, and I must be doing something obvious really wrong because I can't figure out how to get Xfce working like it was. Also, I tried typing xfwm4 at boot but it tells me:

(xfwm4:3587): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

X works fine though, it's not like Xfce can't use my monitor because typing startxfce4 just brings me to an X environment with no WM or DE.

Try this out. Go to the tty or vc and then type in

xfce4-session-logout

That should log you out of the session and will bring back the Xfce WM on restarting.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2008-07-05 04:38:47

sa
Website

Re: [solved] I messed up Xfce with Openbox -_-

thank you!

Board footer