You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-05 11:47:13

saciel

[solved] (how) can I use my laptop as a router for other computers?

First of all, I have to admit that I do not know too much about networking. Just enough to make the simple things work properly.

I have a laptop, which accesses the internet by wireless lan. The router is in my downstairs office. So far so, good, I have a media computer (both running Arch) in my room upstairs, intended to watch dvds or internet tv on the tv screen.

Connecting this computer to the downstairs-router by cable is not possible. Now I wondered, if I really needed to buy a wlan-card (any suggestions which one works well with linux?) or if there might be an (easy) solution using my laptop as (sort of) a router, connecting them by cable and establishing a lan connection between both of them.

Is it possible, to get internet access on the media computer that way, without to much effort? And what do I need to do to get it working?

Last edited by saciel (2008-07-07 01:13:05)

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#2 2008-07-05 11:58:43

Ramses de Norre

Re: [solved] (how) can I use my laptop as a router for other computers?

For a wireless card, I used to use a card with an atheros chipset and those work very good in linux. But a lot of cards work (with ndiswrapper if necessary).

For the routing, see the wiki.

#3 2008-07-05 22:11:24

saciel

Thank you for the wiki-reference, I didn't quite know what to search for. Sounds simple and I'm going to give it a try within the next days.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#4 2008-07-06 17:16:26

saciel

Well, I tried to set it up to day, realizing that it is probably not as easy as it appears to be.

I did everything according to the wiki but from the laptop I can access either the internet OR the other computer, but not both at the same time. It seems to depend on which network profile I activate first.

If I first activate and configure the ethernet card, I can acces the other computer (I tried ping and ssh), but if I then start the wlan profile I cannot access the internet on the laptop. If I start the internet profile first and then configure the ethernet card, I cannot ping the media pc anymore.

I'm not sure what could be wrong, as I just did everything according to the wiki entry. Ideas?

#5 2008-07-07 01:14:53

saciel

Ok, I've got it working after configuring it with different IPs than before. I'm still not quite sure what was wrong as there should have been no ip-collisions anyway. However, with a couple of personal adjustments, the wiki-configuartion works just fine.

Board footer