You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-09 15:42:18

WyoPBS
Website

[SOLVED] Printers stopped appearing

My printer is connected to the Arch host, and up until the past week it showed up on the list of shared resources when I view the network from any of the Winduhs boxes in my house, and I could print to it just fine.  Something must have changed since the last Samba upgrade (not sure when that was, but as of last night I'm fully updated on all my packages).

smb.conf originally contained:
   load printers = yes
   use client driver = yes

Everything else was commented out, to use the defaults.  Today when the printers no longer showed up, I tried explicitly adding the print driver commands:
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   cups server = localhost

Still no printers when I browse the network.  I logged on to the CUPS admin page and noticed that "share printers with other users" was not checked, so I checked that and restarted CUPS as well as Samba.  Still no printers listed.

Finally I explicitly added the printers as individual shares in smb.conf:

[v40xi]
    comment = HP v40xi
    print command = lpr -P v40xi %s
    path=/var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    public = yes

That's how I did it pre-Arch, but I was using lprng at the time instead of CUPS.  Anyway, now the printers appear and I can connect to them and I get no errors trying to print... but the print jobs never show up in the queue, and they never print.

No errors in the CUPS log, but Samba has this to say:
[2008/07/09 09:21:38, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_queue_get(801)
  Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/v40xi - client-error-bad-request
[2008/07/09 09:21:39, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_job_submit(656)
  Unable to print file to v40xi - client-error-bad-request
[2008/07/09 09:22:42, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
  pbs-xp (192.168.1.200) closed connection to service public
[2008/07/09 09:22:42, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
  pbs-xp (192.168.1.200) closed connection to service v40xi

Let me reiterate, this was all working, with default settings, up until maybe a week or two ago.  Nothing has changed except the periodic version updates.

Does anyone else use CUPS and share their Arch-managed printers with Windows clients?  I don't have any other Linux clients to see if I have the same problem.

Last edited by WyoPBS (2008-07-10 16:26:37)

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#2 2008-07-10 16:26:17

WyoPBS
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Printers stopped appearing

Apparently this isn't a problem for anyone else, but just in case...

It turns out that somewhere around CUPS 1.3.x they removed support for any character encoding except utf-8, and all my environments are written for ISO8859-1.  Some support sites advised changing your /etc/rc.d/{cups,samba} files to add LANG=en_US.UTF-8 before the invocation of the binaries (e.g., LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/sbin/cups ) but that did not work.

Instead, I took the easy way out and reverted back to CUPS 1.2.7, which was working just fine, and I'll leave that off the upgrade list going forward.

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Board footer