You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-09 20:46:45

saciel

network video streaming, please help me configuring

I don't know too much about this topic, so it's hard to search for something similiar in the forum or the wiki. I didn't manage to find something appropriate.

On my laptop I have a program running, that creates a video stream. From the laptop I can access and view that stream using mplayer:

$ mplayer http://localhost:16900/1.asf

I have another computer that uses my flat TV as a monitor, which is connected to the laptop via crossover-cable. My goal is to access the video stream from the media computer and display it on the tv.

Just calling the above command with the laptop's IP instead of 'localhost' does not work.

Do I have to open the port (how?) or configure anything else? By the way, I have configured both computers according to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Internet_Share, yet.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#2 2008-07-09 22:29:04

ProgDan
Website

Re: network video streaming, please help me configuring

Can you ping the laptop from the computer? If yes, check, if you are broadcasting the stream to the "net", not just on local interface (which program do you use for broadcasting?)

#3 2008-07-10 00:21:03

saciel

Of course I can ping, they are connected and share the internet connection which the laptop gets by wlan. Probably it is local, as I cannot call it from the laptop using the laptop's IP in the command, too. There is no way to easily get it to the 'net' if the program doesn't supply one itself, is it?

I'm using TVants, a windows application for internet TV, running in wine and I want the output on my television but I would like the program itself to operate on my laptop because I have no mouse and no keyboard connected to the media pc.
I also tried to run it on the media pc (which I control through ssh) and use X11Forward to get TVants on the xserver of the laptop, but it doesn't work as I get some "bad window parameters" errors from wine when forwarding.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#4 2008-07-10 11:13:41

ProgDan
Website

Sorry, I don't know this program so I'm not able to help you more.  Try to check out Wine AppDB, there might be some useful info.

Board footer