You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-09 21:38:14

Jeffers0n

Alternative to a newtork bridge?

I have two computers in my setup, one with wireless access to my home network, and the other without.  I previously ran windows XP on the computer with the wireless card and bridged the connection with an ethernet card in order to provide network access to my second computer without a wireless card.  I am now running Arch on this computer and I can't seem to bridge the wireless and the ethernet cards.  I have read that bridging wireless cards in Linux doesn't always work too well so I'm now looking for another option to supply network connectivity to my second computer.  Ideally I would like to keep both computers on the same subnet but I'm really not sure what my options are.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2008-07-09 22:03:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Alternative to a newtork bridge?

Bridging works fine in Linux, and it's your only option if you want everything on one subnet. It would seem that it's not a very popular topic among Archers i.e. nothing in the wiki smile, but there are plenty of howtos out there. First step - install the bridge-utils package and read man brctl.

#3 2008-07-09 22:28:57

Jeffers0n

I've got bridge-utils installed and have already tried using brctl to setup the bridge, but once I do this my wireless card no longer connects to my wireless network and DHCP doesn't work.  Any suggestions?

#4 2008-07-09 22:56:28

Jeffers0n

I think my original post may have been confusing so here is a diagram of what I'm trying to do:

[inksys router] <--------------------> ath0 [archlinux box] eth0 <------------------------------->eth0[Debian box]
192.168.0.1          wi-fi link                      DHCP assigned             crossover cable               192.168.0.30 (static ip for port forwarding reasons)

Board footer