You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-19 17:54:34

Igzilla

[Solved] Cannot start wireless network as user, only as root

Hi All,

I have just made the move from Ubuntu Hardy as I couldn't stand all the constant freezing. I have followed the Beginners Guide to installing Arch and found it to be a very interesting learning experience. However, as the post title says, although I can get a working internet connection as rot, he moment I login as a user, I cannot get access, and get the error message "SIOCGIFFLAGS error: No such device".

I have added my user account to network and wheel etc, but to no avail. I still have to open a root terminal and manually bring the network up every time. As a side issue, I cannot sudo as my user account even though I am in the wheel group.

Can anyone help please? Let m know what you need to see from my conf files. I am running 64 bit as well.

Many thanks,

Igzilla

Last edited by Igzilla (2008-08-03 17:18:19)

#2 2008-07-20 11:24:42

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Cannot start wireless network as user, only as root

For the first question... what are you trying to use to configure the network. Typically network connection is a root only thing and you shouldnt need to do it as a user directly.

For sudo, you need to configure sudo. Run 'visudo' as root.

#3 2008-08-03 17:19:31

Igzilla

Re: [Solved] Cannot start wireless network as user, only as root

Thanks for the reply - I went back and RTFM properly! All is running smoothly now.

Regards,

Igzilla

Board footer