You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-24 02:45:35

jasonwalsh

Connection seems fine, FF/Opera/Epiphany Hang

As far as I can tell, my Internet connection is fine.  ping works, pacman grabs packages with normal speeds, and I can browse the web via links perfectly fine.  However, Firefox, Opera, and Epiphany don't load pages  at all.  This is a fresh install of Arch and GNOME.  On the Beginner's Guide, it says this regarding /etc/hosts:

Note: This format, including the 'localhost' and your actual host name, is required for program compatibility! Errors in this entry may cause poor network performance and/or certain programs to open very slowly, or not work at all. This is a very common error for beginners.

That seemed like my problem, so here's my /etc/hosts file in case there's something wrong with it I'm missing.

[jason@jason-arch ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>    <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost    jason-arch
# End of file
[jason@jason-arch ~]$

I've set the FF preferences to use No Proxy, just in case that could be part of the problem.  Not sure what could be wrong with my setup, but there's got to be something.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this belonged in Newbie Corner.
Jason

Last edited by jasonwalsh (2008-07-24 16:41:13)

#2 2008-07-28 17:04:12

st0nedpenguin

Re: Connection seems fine, FF/Opera/Epiphany Hang

Same problem here, installed using 2008.3 since the 2008.6 installers refused to boot, got everything installed via FTP and configured fine as in past releases, Links is browsing the web fine, I can ping everything fine, but no graphical browser will load pages.

I did have Firefox half loading pages for half an hour or so and then it died completely.

#3 2008-07-28 21:55:41

st0nedpenguin

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv … the_Module

Plus

http://en.opensuse.org/Disable_IPv6_for_Firefox

Disabling IPv6 seems to have fixed the issue on a Debian box, hoping it solves it under Arch too.

#4 2008-07-29 16:55:35

st0nedpenguin

First edit from the wiki has everything up and running fine, no actual need for the Firefox tweak.

#5 2008-08-04 01:19:42

jasonwalsh

Excellent!  The wiki.archlinux.org page fixed my problem!  I can finally actually use Arch smile smile

Board footer