You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-26 15:23:59

katyl

[Solved]Openbox Copy/Paste

hey everyone, ty for the help.
After playing around w/ arch for a few days, I decided to run off and try a couple other distros before deciding on what to use for a new computer. I've decided on arch. Seeing as I had it up and running not to long ago, I have no doubt I'll be able to get it working again, but when I was using openbox, I didn't have any sort of copy paste in the wm. Is there a possibility I'm missing a package or don't have something enabled to provide this support? I've taken a look via google for anyone else w/ questions about it and didn't find anything. I realize that it probably isn't a feature of openbox, but I assume there's just something out there that i havn't needed before that I'm missing, I'm sitting here at work, so I'll be able to answer any questions about the issue if there are any. Thanks a lot smile

Last edited by katyl (2008-07-26 16:25:22)

#2 2008-07-26 15:36:26

fwojciec

Re: [Solved]Openbox Copy/Paste

Try something like glipper-old, or the clipman plugin for xfce panel, or parcellite...

#3 2008-07-26 15:36:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

katyl wrote:

hey everyone, ty for the help.
After playing around w/ arch for a few days, I decided to run off and try a couple other distros before deciding on what to use for a new computer. I've decided on arch. Seeing as I had it up and running not to long ago, I have no doubt I'll be able to get it working again, but when I was using openbox, I didn't have any sort of copy paste in the wm. Is there a possibility I'm missing a package or don't have something enabled to provide this support? I've taken a look via google for anyone else w/ questions about it and didn't find anything. I realize that it probably isn't a feature of openbox, but I assume there's just something out there that i havn't needed before that I'm missing, I'm sitting here at work, so I'll be able to answer any questions about the issue if there are any. Thanks a lot smile

Are you trying to copy from terminal or something?

copy from terminal - Ctrl + Shift + C
paste - middle click

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2008-07-26 15:41:15

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums katyl.

There are at least two ways to go about it. X has it own copy and paste for text. Just highlight something, then push the middle mouse button where ever you want to paste it. It works, but it's feature light.

The other option is to simply choose your apps based on copy and paste. GTK2 and QT can copy and paste in between programs regardless of the WM or DE. And if you need a terminal with full copy and paste functionality, use Terminal from the XFCE project (pacman -S terminal).

Last edited by skottish (2008-07-26 15:42:08)

#5 2008-07-26 15:50:04

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Inxsible wrote:

Are you trying to copy from terminal or something?

copy from terminal - Ctrl + Shift + C
paste - middle click

Ctrl+Insert as copy and Shift+Insert as paste generally works as well.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#6 2008-07-26 15:52:26

bgc1954

Skottish wrote:

There are at least two ways to go about it. X has it own copy and paste for text. Just highlight something, then push the middle mouse button where ever you want to paste it. It works, but it's feature light.

Something I discovered a while ago--don't remember where--is you can also use Shift+Insert instead of the middle mouse button.  It's quite handy with my old T21 thinkpad which doesn't have a middle mouse button and the 3 button mouse emulation is kinda flaky most times.

Welcome to Arch. smile

Edit: Darn!! Zeist beat me to it by a couple of minutes.  I'm gonna have to take typing lessons. tongue

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-07-26 17:14:49)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#7 2008-07-26 16:04:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

bgc1954 wrote:

Skottish wrote:

Something I discovered a while ago--don't remember where--is you can also use Shift+Insert instead of the middle mouse button.  It's quite handy with my old T21 thinkpad which doesn't have a middle mouse button and the 3 button mouse emulation is kinda flaky most times.

It's good to know. I'm kind of a mouse weeny and really need to get use to using keyboard bindings for my laptop as well. Those touch pad things suck.

#8 2008-07-26 16:19:09

katyl

Of the options, clipman looks nice and simple. Add clipman to autostart.sh along w/ something like stalone tray and copy and paste should run happilly?
To say something of arch, I must say I'm thrilled with the number of options I have, and seeing as this is the only "Oh crud, how do I do this" moment I'm having, that's pretty solid.

Board footer