You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-28 04:03:23

DemiAlbedo

New Person Same Question - Can't get wireless to work

I have come to the world of ArchLinux and so far i'm loving it. Once i finished reading several. . .several arch guides and after installing arch i'm enjoying everyting arch has to offer. . .except wireless.

I installed the bcm43xx driver, knetworkmanager, and everything else i can think of any nothing is working for me. I followed every archlinux wireless guide and nothing.

here are a few outputs of mine

iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.
eth0    no wireless extensions.
eth1    IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:""  Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Invalid
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=0 dBm  Noise level=0 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
eth0    Interface doesn't support scanning.
eth1    No scan results

sudo ifconfig eth1 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

sudo dhcpcd eth1
err, eth1: ioctl SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

sudo netcfg-auto-wireless eth1
:: Scanning for networks [BUSY]
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
- No networks available. 

First question is what is with the SIOCSIFFLAGS, is this what is causing all the problems?

Second question. I'm at home so i know i'm within range of a wireless network, so why are all the "scans" coming up with nothing?

even if I right click my knetworkmanager it is not detecing any wireless networks either. . . what is going on?

#2 2008-07-28 06:47:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: New Person Same Question - Can't get wireless to work

Use the b43 driver, as bcm43xx is about to become obsolete. Follow the b43 section in the Wireless Setup wiki page.

#3 2008-07-28 14:43:06

DemiAlbedo

Sorry I made a typo. I read the wireless setup and it said that the bcm43xx driver was replaced with the b43 driver so that is the one I installed. However I had one problem installing the b43 driver. I was following the instructions and noticed that broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2 is outdated. There is now a broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.1.tar.bz2. I downloaded that one and followed all the instructions however I couldn't get that driver to install following the wiki guide, so I just downloaded the original one and followed the wiki guide and it installed correctly.

#4 2008-07-28 14:52:32

wonder
Developer
Website

i see that is also a .2 release. i should test it and come back and tell you if it's working
http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broa … .2.tar.bz2

i think that b43-fwcutter need to release another version to support newer firmware

Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by b43-fwcutter.
This file has an unknown MD5sum b6d32979ad3fdd8ce5c3ec806ebec757.

Last edited by wonder (2008-07-28 15:37:17)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2008-07-28 15:55:08

DemiAlbedo

I downloaded the newer version of the b43 driver and i'm going to try and see if that works for me. I'm going to ask my linux guru friend if he can show me how to add the md5 and how tor recomplie once i get to work, however i thought i would update the archlinux world on my progress

I wanted to avoid this but i gave it a shot anyways. I added a profile for netcfg2 and keep getting this error

sudo netcfg2 home
:: home up                                                                                                                           
[BUSY] SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning : No such device

- Network unavailable   

Once again I see that SIOCSIFFLAGS again.

I don't want to use netcfg2  and deal with profiles for my wireless but I thought I would give it a shot anyways.

*on a secondary note* My HP laptop has a light that turns on when wireless is activated however its not going on. Everything is saying I have wireless and that it sees it, but my light is not going on. . .it has always gone on for any distro i used before. Don't know if that means anything but who knows.

#6 2008-07-28 19:34:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

The b43 driver creates a wlanX interface, not a ethX interface - wlan0 on my system, probably the same on yours.

#7 2008-07-28 20:30:23

wonder
Developer
Website

make sure that bcm43xx isn't loaded and put !bcm43xx to MODULES list

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#8 2008-07-29 01:10:03

DemiAlbedo

I believe that tomk has diagnosed my problem. When my linux guru friend first installed arch I remember that when I was trying to get wireless to work it was wlan0 not eth1. I installed arch again because I wanted to learn arch from the bottom up from scratch without help. I guess I installed something incorrectly. I'm going to reinstall arch again and hopefully I get it right this time, because i'm not sure how to go about changing eth to wlan0

Don't worry however because my /home cache and /etc/ have all been backed up smile At least I know how to do something.

Once I reinstall I will post what I did wrong to make it eth1, if i can figure it out.

Thanks for the help tomk and wonder

Board footer