You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-29 08:35:25

Stalafin

iwlwifi-3945-ucode -- iwlist scan and Wlan LED not working

I am using the iwlwifi-3945-ucode driver to access wireless networks. I can connect to my WPA encrypted wireless LAN using netcfg; however, I cannot scan for any wireless networks around me using 'iwlist scan' or 'iwlist wlan0 scan'. It yields 'no scan results'. 'iwlist scanning' results in one entry showing me the wireless LAN I am connected to.

How can I get iwlist scan to work?

Also, I would like to get a feedback from the wireless LED of my notebook (Thinkpad X60s) telling me if there is anything going on with it.... I used to use thinkpad_acpi earlier, but this doesn't seem to help anymore (not sure if thinkpad_acpi was actually providing this option).

Any ideas how to enable it?

I would really appreciate any help! smile

#2 2008-07-29 08:45:02

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: iwlwifi-3945-ucode -- iwlist scan and Wlan LED not working

Stalafin wrote:

I am using the iwlwifi-3945-ucode driver to access wireless networks. I can connect to my WPA encrypted wireless LAN using netcfg; however, I cannot scan for any wireless networks around me using 'iwlist scan' or 'iwlist wlan0 scan'. It yields 'no scan results'. 'iwlist scanning' results in one entry showing me the wireless LAN I am connected to.

Maybe try as root.

Also, I would like to get a feedback from the wireless LED of my notebook (Thinkpad X60s) telling me if there is anything going on with it.... I used to use thinkpad_acpi earlier, but this doesn't seem to help anymore (not sure if thinkpad_acpi was actually providing this option).

I think you have to wait for 2.6.26, but it should not be too far away.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#3 2008-07-29 08:53:28

Stalafin

shining wrote:
Stalafin wrote:

Maybe try as root.

Yeah, root does the trick. Has been changed then, hasn't it? Don't remember to have used root for that one, ever.

shining wrote:

I think you have to wait for 2.6.26, but it should not be too far away.

They have taken that one out? See, I had it working about one month ago. Then I decided to set up Arch anew (like two weeks ago, followed by note turning the notebook on for about another week), and now there isn't happening anything. So since the new setup it doesn't work. I am just figuring if I have to modprobe something. Gonna restart now... maybe it helps.

#4 2008-07-29 09:15:36

shining
Pacman Developer

Stalafin wrote:

Yeah, root does the trick. Has been changed then, hasn't it? Don't remember to have used root for that one, ever.

Maybe it works with ipw3945 but not iwlwifi/iwl3945.
Actually, maybe this also works now with iwlwifi/iwl3945 and 2.6.26 kernel. I don't remember anymore...

They have taken that one out? See, I had it working about one month ago. Then I decided to set up Arch anew (like two weeks ago, followed by note turning the notebook on for about another week), and now there isn't happening anything. So since the new setup it doesn't work. I am just figuring if I have to modprobe something. Gonna restart now... maybe it helps.

No no, LED support was in ipw3945 (which is an external driver, not included in official upstream kernel sources). It never worked with iwlwifi/iwl3945 before the 2.6.26 kernel. Just be patient (one week or something)

PS : the name of the project is iwlwifi (http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi) but the name of the driver is iwl3945. I just put both for being more explicit.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2008-07-29 09:24:19

Stalafin

Alright, thanks a bunch. Gonna be patient and wait for things to come. big_smile

Board footer