You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-29 09:56:30

Convergence

quick and easy 1 time lan file transfer [resolved sorta]

I'm looking for a painless way to transfer files from a dead windows computer (that is now running knoppix) to an arch box that with an external USB.  I've looked at various howtos, and I know that there is plenty of reading material, but this is a one time deal, and I don't have time to read a bunch of manuals.  I think that the best route would be rsync, but I'm not sure.  This would be unnecesary if the USB drive would simply mount in Knoppix, but for whatever reason, it does not. any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by Convergence (2008-07-29 11:34:13)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2008-07-29 11:36:53

Convergence

Re: quick and easy 1 time lan file transfer [resolved sorta]

Turns out that the USB port that I had plugged the external USB drive into was bad, maybe too dirty or something.  I just plugged the drive into another USB port, and it mounts just fine.  Therefore I don't need to know how to do lan transfers at this very moment.  However, I'll look into it, so that I will be better equipped in the future, if the need arizes.

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#3 2008-07-29 11:45:31

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: quick and easy 1 time lan file transfer [resolved sorta]

The original question was to transfer files from a knoppix machine to an Arch Linux machine?

Well... three things really come to mind as we're talking Linux here SFTP, SCP and RSYNC. To sync up a folder/some folders between two computers over the network I agree with that I think rsync would be easiest.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

Board footer