You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-11 17:02:01

jmrbcu
Member
From: Cuba
Registered: 2007-08-20
Posts: 112

LXDE Screenshots

Hi folks, I invite U to post your LXDE screenshots here!!!


--------------------------------
Todos somos muy ignorantes, lo que ocurre es que no todos ignoramos lo mismo.
Recuerda: El arca de Noe fue construida por aficionados, el titanic por profesionales
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline

#2 2008-08-11 18:06:27

COMMUNISTCHINA
Member
Registered: 2008-06-16
Posts: 122
Website

Re: LXDE Screenshots

0 replies in 3...2...


i don't know you that well.

Offline

#3 2008-08-11 21:34:03

thayer
Fellow
From: Vancouver, BC
Registered: 2007-05-20
Posts: 1,560
Website

Re: LXDE Screenshots

1...maybe nobody is interested because we already have a monthly screenshot thread...or maybe it's because LXDE is simply Openbox and we already have an Openbox thread.

I don't really see the point in LXDE, since we can all run Openbox with our own favourite applications and just call it "Joe's Desktop Environment."  I'm not bashing the project or anything--that's the beauty of open source software.  I just don't see the point in it.

On the other hand, I do see a niche for the lxappearance utility and I hope they continue to work on it.


thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Offline

#4 2008-08-11 21:37:45

Fatsobob
Member
From: Colorado
Registered: 2006-06-27
Posts: 126

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Well I like LXDE, its got some nice stuff to it. If you don't want to go through the steps of configuring openbox for the first time and want it to look fairly similar to windows with plenty of functionality included with it, then lxde is a good choice for you.
Openbox has a very steep learning curve the first time.

Offline

#5 2008-08-11 23:22:54

pelle.k
Member
From: Åre, Sweden (EU)
Registered: 2006-04-30
Posts: 667

Re: LXDE Screenshots

I don't really see the point in LXDE

partypooper! wink

I'd be happy to see some fine lxde setups. In fact, i've been thinking of trying lxde out for quite some time now.


"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Offline

#6 2008-08-12 00:52:51

Acecero
Member
Registered: 2008-06-21
Posts: 1,373

Re: LXDE Screenshots

From what I read in the title, all I see so far is "LXDE Discussion."

Come on, post some screenshots!

Offline

#7 2008-08-12 01:09:45

COMMUNISTCHINA
Member
Registered: 2008-06-16
Posts: 122
Website

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Acecero wrote:

From what I read in the title, all I see so far is "LXDE Discussion."

Come on, post some screenshots!

http://lxde.org/screenshots.html

One thing I will hand to LXDE: LXAppearance.
I can dig it; it seems better than gtk-chtheme.

Last edited by COMMUNISTCHINA (2008-08-12 01:11:14)


i don't know you that well.

Offline

#8 2008-08-12 13:09:04

jmrbcu
Member
From: Cuba
Registered: 2007-08-20
Posts: 112

Re: LXDE Screenshots

those screenshots are the oficial, I would like to see more user screenshots.

PS: sorry for my english!!!


--------------------------------
Todos somos muy ignorantes, lo que ocurre es que no todos ignoramos lo mismo.
Recuerda: El arca de Noe fue construida por aficionados, el titanic por profesionales
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline

#9 2008-08-12 14:52:26

scrawler
Member
Registered: 2005-06-07
Posts: 312

Re: LXDE Screenshots

I guess someone should start a general lxde thread.  I just this second installed lxde to check it out.  xfce is over on another display.  From my two minutes of experience I can say that lxde is smokin' fast.  all my compiz stuff works without messing with anything, too, and a handfull of clicks here and there tells me I may be switching to this. 

Once again, two minutes of experience, but lxde blows xfce out of the water in terms of speed.

I'd post a screenshot, but it's just the default...
:-)

Offline

#10 2008-08-12 16:39:45

jmrbcu
Member
From: Cuba
Registered: 2007-08-20
Posts: 112

Re: LXDE Screenshots

+100 for lxde, it is really blazing fast!!!


--------------------------------
Todos somos muy ignorantes, lo que ocurre es que no todos ignoramos lo mismo.
Recuerda: El arca de Noe fue construida por aficionados, el titanic por profesionales
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline

#11 2008-08-12 17:30:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow
From: Chicago
Registered: 2008-06-09
Posts: 9,059

Re: LXDE Screenshots

scrawler wrote:

I guess someone should start a general lxde thread.  I just this second installed lxde to check it out.  xfce is over on another display.  From my two minutes of experience I can say that lxde is smokin' fast.  all my compiz stuff works without messing with anything, too, and a handfull of clicks here and there tells me I may be switching to this. 

Once again, two minutes of experience, but lxde blows xfce out of the water in terms of speed.

I'd post a screenshot, but it's just the default...
:-)

You are probably running Compiz on Xfce. If you remove Xfce, you will not be able to run Compiz, simply because LXDE uses Openbox as the WM and Compiz, as you know is also a WM. You cannot run multiple WMs at the same time.

Oh and Openbox is definitely much much faster than Xfce.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-08-12 17:33:05)


Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Offline

#12 2008-08-12 18:13:55

dunc
Member
From: Glasgow, UK
Registered: 2007-06-18
Posts: 556

Re: LXDE Screenshots

thayer wrote:

I don't really see the point in LXDE, since we can all run Openbox with our own favourite applications and just call it "Joe's Desktop Environment."  I'm not bashing the project or anything--that's the beauty of open source software.  I just don't see the point in it.

On the other hand, I do see a niche for the lxappearance utility and I hope they continue to work on it.

I don't like it becuase it uses Thunar and a panel. But I think complaining about the apps is missing the point: it's an excellent way to get yourself a lightweight Openbox setup right out of the box.

And parts of it are very good: LXAppearance, as you say, and they're not kidding when they say GPicView is "instant" (although a commandline switch for starting in fullscreen would be nice). On the other hand, LXTask seems to take a lot of CPU cycles for itself, which rather defeats the purpose (it's often top of its own list here).


0 Ok, 0:1

Offline

#13 2008-08-12 18:24:07

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: LXDE Screenshots

7s0b-1.png
Ja I know, this desktop actually isn't very special or something, I just wanted to start this thread wink Stop being so shy guys! I swear yours is better than mine tongue

I personally prefer to have the panel on top, it's a relict from my Gnome times and I also had it that way when I was on KDE the last 2 years. I really got used to it. And having the close button and the others on the left is not a copy of OSX, it's because then I do have every click-shit-thing in a smaller area, so I don't have to move the mouse that often.
But this desktop already works quite well for me, I'm able to work with it. What's badly missing is a nice conky, which I will make very thin on top somewhere or on the bottom, because I always want to be able to see it. But I'll find a good one in one of the threads here or in the big wide world, so that should not be a problem.
What I also like are maximized windows. Does anybody know, if and how I can tell the pcmanfm and the lxterminal to start maximized? Maybe I'll replace the lxterminal by another one, maybe tilda, because I liked yakuake pretty much

Ok now, that's my part, not very advanced, but it's a start wink

And I also think, that this thread is a bit worthless with this topic, a general discussion would be preferred from my point wink


What I forgot, I see LXDE as a springboard to the lightweight world, because I only used Gnome and KDE, so a naked Openbox is a bit scary. I'll definitely switch to real Openbox , as soon as I get used to it. But let's see how LXDE moves on.

Last edited by Army (2008-08-12 18:29:27)

Offline

#14 2008-08-12 18:48:37

scrawler
Member
Registered: 2005-06-07
Posts: 312

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Inxsible wrote:

You are probably running Compiz on Xfce. If you remove Xfce, you will not be able to run Compiz, simply because LXDE uses Openbox as the WM and Compiz, as you know is also a WM. You cannot run multiple WMs at the same time.

Oh and Openbox is definitely much much faster than Xfce.

you don't have to use openbox, it's just the default.

the lxde site wrote:

(http://lxde.org/about.html)

Openbox: Lightweight, standard-compliant, and highly-configurable window manager (This is not developed by us, but we use it as our default window manager). This can be replaced by any other window manager like icewm, fluxbox, metacity, ...etc.

(my emphasis)
As it turns out, lxde was only shockingly faster than xfce4 on my laptop because I already had x running. It's nice, but I'll be sticking to xfce4 for a while longer.


compiz definately works, too--I stuck "exec fusion icon" in my .xinitrc to see what would happen, and I wound up with two instances running.  wobbles and cubes and slurps and flames galore.  I tried it with openbox too--it's easy to switch.

Offline

#15 2008-08-12 19:32:51

Inxsible
Forum Fellow
From: Chicago
Registered: 2008-06-09
Posts: 9,059

Re: LXDE Screenshots

scrawler wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

You are probably running Compiz on Xfce. If you remove Xfce, you will not be able to run Compiz, simply because LXDE uses Openbox as the WM and Compiz, as you know is also a WM. You cannot run multiple WMs at the same time.

Oh and Openbox is definitely much much faster than Xfce.

you don't have to use openbox, it's just the default.

the lxde site wrote:

(http://lxde.org/about.html)

Openbox: Lightweight, standard-compliant, and highly-configurable window manager (This is not developed by us, but we use it as our default window manager). This can be replaced by any other window manager like icewm, fluxbox, metacity, ...etc.

(my emphasis)
As it turns out, lxde was only shockingly faster than xfce4 on my laptop because I already had x running. It's nice, but I'll be sticking to xfce4 for a while longer.


compiz definately works, too--I stuck "exec fusion icon" in my .xinitrc to see what would happen, and I wound up with two instances running.  wobbles and cubes and slurps and flames galore.  I tried it with openbox too--it's easy to switch.

Yes, but if you have a pure openbox setup (or any other WM for that matter) then you won't be able to run that WM and Compiz together. I mean not installing a WM on top of an existing DE that you have. That's what I meant. What LXDE uses is immaterial - as long as its a WM and not a DE.

When you install any WM on an existing DE, the only thing different is that instead of starting the default WM of the DE, it starts the one that you installed. For eg. it will start Openbox instead of xfwm(for Xfce). So, like you mentioned, you can either run Openbox or Compiz but not both at the same time.


Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Offline

#16 2008-08-13 14:38:07

jmrbcu
Member
From: Cuba
Registered: 2007-08-20
Posts: 112

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Army wrote:

What I also like are maximized windows. Does anybody know, if and how I can tell the pcmanfm and the lxterminal to start maximized? Maybe I'll replace the lxterminal by another one, maybe tilda, because I liked yakuake pretty much

You can maximize a window by default with the WM (Openbox), edit this file: ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml and find the <applications> element. Within it, add the following:

<application name="urxvt">
  <maximized>true</maximized>
</application>

save the file and reload the openbox configuration or restart it!!!

just that.


--------------------------------
Todos somos muy ignorantes, lo que ocurre es que no todos ignoramos lo mismo.
Recuerda: El arca de Noe fue construida por aficionados, el titanic por profesionales
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline

#17 2008-08-13 18:04:40

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Excellent! Thanx! I'll try it out.

Offline

#18 2008-08-28 18:09:44

upuaut
Member
Registered: 2006-05-30
Posts: 19

Re: LXDE Screenshots

This is my LXDE:

http://upuaut64.up.ohost.de/desk-01.jpg

The second is with an open pcmanfm.
But conky is allways gone wen I open pcmanfm.
Any ideas?

http://upuaut64.up.ohost.de/desk-02.jpg

See u,

Upuaut


Have Fun,

Upuaut

Offline

#19 2008-08-28 18:33:53

SamC
Member
From: Calgary
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 611
Website

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Upuaut: I think you have to turn off PCmanfm's function of drawing the desktop. I'm not sure how, but it should say in the man page.

Offline

#20 2008-08-28 19:58:05

zyghom
Member
From: Poland/Tanzania
Registered: 2006-05-11
Posts: 430
Website

Re: LXDE Screenshots

yes, you can switch it off, but you loose icons from desktop as well


Zygfryd Homonto

Offline

#21 2008-08-29 15:24:49

upuaut
Member
Registered: 2006-05-30
Posts: 19

Re: LXDE Screenshots

SamC wrote:

Upuaut: I think you have to turn off PCmanfm's function of drawing the desktop. I'm not sure how, but it should say in the man page.

You can turn off that function.
But Conky may still not work hmm

So the point is: When ever I open pcmanfm conky is gone. No matter if pcmanfm is drawing the destop or not.

I think I need some help to get conky running all the time.

Last edited by upuaut (2008-08-29 15:25:04)


Have Fun,

Upuaut

Offline

#22 2008-08-29 16:33:49

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: LXDE Screenshots

upuaut, could you please provide your .conkyrc? I'm not sure, but I think the reason is

# set to yes if you want Conky to be forked in the background
background no

Conky doesn't disappear here tongue

Offline

#23 2008-08-29 17:40:50

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Army wrote:

upuaut, could you please provide your .conkyrc? I'm not sure, but I think the reason is

# set to yes if you want Conky to be forked in the background
background no

Conky doesn't disappear here tongue

that has nothing to do with the desktop, it determines whether conky will be daemonized on start (same as running "conky -d")


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#24 2008-08-29 18:03:47

ben
Member
Registered: 2008-08-28
Posts: 2

Re: LXDE Screenshots

upuaut wrote:

This is my LXDE:

http://upuaut64.up.ohost.de/desk-01.jpg

The second is with an open pcmanfm.
But conky is allways gone wen I open pcmanfm.
Any ideas?

http://upuaut64.up.ohost.de/desk-02.jpg

See u,

Upuaut

following in .conkyrc works for me (with pcmanfm-desktop and xcompgr and so on..)

own_window yes
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type desktop
own_window_hints undecorate,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

Offline

#25 2008-08-30 12:40:28

upuaut
Member
Registered: 2006-05-30
Posts: 19

Re: LXDE Screenshots

Army wrote:

upuaut, could you please provide your .conkyrc?

Here it is:

 #avoid flicker
double_buffer yes

#own window to run simultanious 2 or more conkys
own_window  yes
own_window_transparent no
own_window_type normal
own_window_hints undecorate,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager 

#borders
draw_borders no
border_margin 1

#shades
draw_shades no

#position
gap_x 6
gap_y 6
alignment bottom_left
#alignment top_left

#behaviour
update_interval 1

#colour
default_color  ffaa00
#9f907d

#default_shade_color 000000
own_window_colour 000000
#3d352a

#font
use_xft yes
xftfont bauhaus:pixelsize=11

#to prevent window from moving
use_spacer no
minimum_size 1262 0

#mpd
#mpd_host localhost
#mpd_port 6600

TEXT
${alignc}Kernel: ${color D7D3C5}$kernel   |  ${time %d %B} ${color D7D3C5}${time  %H:%M}  |  ${color}Cpu: ${color D7D3C5}${cpu}%   ${color}${cpugraph 10,80 AEA08E 9F907D} ${color D7D3C5}    |   ${color }Mem: ${color D7D3C5}$mem/$memmax - $memperc% ${color} ${membar 6,80}${color D7D3C5}    |   ${color }Net: ${color D7D3C5}${font}${downspeed eth0} Kb/s ${color}  ${downspeedgraph eth0 10,80 AEA08E 9F907D}  ${color D7D3C5} ${totaldown eth0} down   |   ${color D7D3C5}${upspeed eth0} Kb/s ${color} ${upspeedgraph eth0 10,80 AEA08E 9F907D}  ${color 909090}${totalup eth0} up   |   
${alignc} ${color }Root: ${color D7D3C5}${font}${fs_free /}  / ${fs_size /} - ${fs_free_perc /}%   |  ${color} Home: ${color D7D3C5}${fs_free /home}  / ${fs_size /home}  - ${fs_free_perc /home}%   | ${color} Arch-pkg: ${color D7D3C5}${font}${execi 300 perl ~/download/scripts/conky-updates.pl}  |    ${color} Weather: ${color D7D3C5} ${execi 1800 weatherget -f ~/download/scripts/.conkyweatherrc --station-id=GMXX0010 --metric }   |

Have Fun,

Upuaut

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB