You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-14 08:27:53

jcci

NFS Access Rights Weirdness

After long time struggling with this problem I hope to find some expert here.
Since I'm using a Linux server with NFS, regardless of the distribution, the following weirdness appears:
The server works fine and all exports are available via NFS. On the client the UID and GID are matched so the user can access their files with the same rights they would have when working locally on the server (which of course they can not). Unfortunately this is just almost true and here is the problem: For users belonging to lots of groups some accesses by GID membership are just not working although the GIDs are matched fine. On a local machine which uses NFS shares the user joins a lot of local groups (i.e. audio, wheel...) in addition to the company organisation groups. In this case some shares which grant access by group memebership fail. Removing one group membership may result in successful access to a previously blocked group access. But if the same user logs on through our terminal server (which is also just a NFS client) there are almost no group rights ( no audio, or cdrom, or...) beside the organisation groups and in this case all shares work well. Is there a limitation of groups a user can join for nfs?
The same share accessed by Samba works, so this is not a problem of user rights.

For any solution I would be really grateful!
Thanks!

Last edited by jcci (2008-08-14 13:17:39)

Board footer