You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-18 15:26:52

munkyeetr

Need help setting up remote access

First of all, let me say that I am not a slacker, I do the work and try to figure things out before I post here, but I have no idea how to set this up, so need some help. I am not sure if somewhere along the line I am missing something that is not allowing connection (be it syntax, security, port forwarding, who knows???) so I want to start fresh and get some advice from the ground up. So for the sake of this post, I have nothing installed or configured to accomplish this task, and need either some hand-holding or a good, complete tutorial to walk me through.

This is what I want to set up:
1) The ability to access files on my home system from another computer (windows/mac/*nix) outside the house.
2) Not have to install any software on the external machines.
3) Prefer to be able to use web browser (like "ftp" view of the directory, click to view/download files) on external machine.
4) Am open to using CLI if this will be more secure/practical.

What I need to know:
1) What apps will best allow this (ftp,ssh,vsftpd) securely?
2) After installing the application(s), how do I configure them to work (config files, daemons)?.
3) I have a router, do I need to open/close/forward any ports?
4) What is the process to initiate the connection? What do I type in the browser's address bar or at the command line to connect?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
JB

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen

#2 2008-08-18 19:09:37

remote

Re: Need help setting up remote access

This would take more of a chat before being able to hold hands ; )
I'll be around a bit today, feel free to look me up http://zaxter.org

Board footer