You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-19 05:18:25

Aeroz

WiFi Stopped Working After Installing WICD

Hi,

I've been messing with knetworkmanager, wifi radar, and finally WICD. All in an effort to get to a usable interface for me to connect to my router at home. I never managed to get the first mentioned 2 to work due to knet not even opening, and wifi-radar not detecting any devices.

Finally, I stumbled upon WICD, I installed it via the Arch WICD Wiki, and somewhere along the installation I must not have noticed that the Wifi light on my laptop went out, and I subsequently lost my wifi. I noticed this by the time I had the WICD GUI open and running and it wouldn't detect any devices.

I had my WIFI installed via ndiswrapper and an .inf I got from a dell website (I use an m1530). My driver is still installed, but not I don't get my wifi light to come on, thus its not working.

I use KDEmod 4.1 if that helps.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

#2 2008-08-19 06:57:34

pseudonomous

Re: WiFi Stopped Working After Installing WICD

FIY Google Search: m1530 wireless ndiswrapper.  1st result:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=408362

Try searching the forums before you ask questions.

Solution would be, apparently to downgrade your kernel.  Or try and get the new broadcom drivers to work:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Broadcom_43xx  (or search the archwiki, it's there too, somewhere)

Other things you can do include:

-Trying the development branch of ndiswrapper / waiting for a new ndiswrapper
-Installing different linux/unix distributions until you find one where you driver works
-Reverse engineering how your card works and writing your own driver
-Working on the ndiswrapper code
-Buy a wireless card with linux native drivers, there's still problems with some of these but they've always worked much better for me than try to ndiswrap windows drivers.  Bonus: figure out what you need your card to do and find a card that will do it (example:  Do you need WPA or WPA2 to work?  Because the rt2500 chipset works great unless you want WPA support)

Board footer