You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-24 04:01:27

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Icon remains on Gnome desktop when not cleanly unmounted

If I have a device (USB drive, USB stick, memory card etc) auto-mounted on my desktop, and the device is not cleanly unmounted (ie, USB key is removed without clicking "Unmount" or the USB caddy freezes up, the icon on the desktop is not removed, even when the device is reattached (2 icons for the same device appear)

It appears Gnome / HAL handles this situation by creating the mount point with an underscore at the end.

Example:
1. USB Caddy with a drive labelled "music" is plugged in.
2. HAL auto-mounts the device to /media/music and creates an icon on the desktop called "music"
3. USB cable is removed without right-clicking the desktop icon and selecting "Unmount"
4. Device icon and mount point remain, even though the device is no longer present
5. The same device is reconnected.
6. HAL auto-mounts the device to /media/music_ and creates a second icon on the desktop also called "music" (without the underscore)

I can't figure out anyway to remove the original icon created in step 2 without rebooting the system. I know I shouldn't be removing the device without unmounting, but sometimes it's out of my control (power failure - pc is on UPS, but USB caddy isn't, and one of my caddies at the moment is having problems with locking up after periods of inactivity and requiring power cycling).

Is this a bug in Gnome / HAL or have I got something misconfigured?

#2 2008-08-24 05:30:26

theringmaster
Website

Re: Icon remains on Gnome desktop when not cleanly unmounted

I too am suffering with this issue although i have not plugged in a usb for a few weeks. It might be a gnome issue because I haven't seen this on xfce (when I used it).

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#3 2008-08-25 04:39:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Icon remains on Gnome desktop when not cleanly unmounted

I also have the same issue...although I don't use Gnome. So I am assuming this is an issue with HAL and not Gnome.

I use pure Openbox and I had used pmount to create the mount points for the said usb devices.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-08-25 04:39:36)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer