You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-31 09:36:09

dienadel

Choosing between the diferent wifi solutions

Hello!

In a couple of months i'll be living in my own home, with a new internet configuration. I'll have a cable-modem and a wifi router. Nowadays, althought my laptop have wifi, is always off, as the router is only "wired". As i have no experience with wifi, i'll like ask you for advice.

The 30% of times, i'll be connected to the router with wire. The 65% of times, via wifi, with the normal security configuration to my router. The last 5%, will be wifi connections on open spots out of my home.

So, this is how i'd like to act:

If i'm with wire, the wifi switch will be off. This is the actual situation. No problem. At home, without wire, with wifi on, the laptop would connect automatically without any promps to my "secure home wifi network". Out of home, i'd have a list of wifi spots, select the one i want, and connect. Back at home, as my wifi is back, would connect automatically without any promps, and "forget" the networks i connected to.

With the previous information, which would be the best solution?

I don't mind having to config all what i want via console, but chosing the wifi out of home should be made with a grafical app. By now, gnome, kde... it's the same.

Thanks!

#2 2008-08-31 09:43:52

ichbinesderelch

Re: Choosing between the diferent wifi solutions

maybe you should take a look at wicd, wicd can configure wirless and wired connections, you could also try out doing it with just ifconfig/iwconfig/iwlist, but wicd is just easier to configure.

#3 2008-08-31 16:18:21

carlocci

Re: Choosing between the diferent wifi solutions

AFAIK networkmanager remember the networks you connected to and connect to them automatically when they are available.
I think that's cool, I tried it, but its frontend brings in a lot of kde or gnome dependencies, so I installed wicd instead (which the wiki stated was quite dependency free)

edit: it looks like the wiki discourages using networkmanager and suggest using network_profiles

Last edited by carlocci (2008-08-31 17:37:18)

Board footer