You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-20 02:54:23

Ruckus

PostFix Help

I was following this howto: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PostFix_Howto

I had just gotten to the Test Postfix stage, where you telnet in and send a test email. Every time I try to do this I get the following error message:

[electra]$ telnet stayanon.com 25
Trying 67.223.226.227...
Connected to stayanon.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ruckus1.vps ESMTP Postfix
ehlo testmail.org
250-ruckus1.vps
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
mail from:<test@testmail.org>
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to:<ruckus@wpge.org>
550 5.1.1 <ruckus@wpge.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

So obviously, I started back tracking. In the wiki, where it says to create the mysql user, it says:

Step 2. Create a mysql user

Add a user for postfix to use. Something like \"postfixuser\". Give permissions for postfix user to the table. This user should be listed in the /etc/postfix/mysqlvirtualdomains.cf file.

Except, that is the only place  /etc/postfix/mysqlvirtualdomains.cf is mentioned. In all of the other mysql related files, i did include the correct mysql user, do i need to put this information somewhere else?

This is my first experience with mail servers.

[root@ruckus1 george]# postconf -n
alias_database = $alias_maps
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
home_mailbox = Maildir/
html_directory = no
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = localhost
mynetworks_style = host
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = no
relay_domains = $mydestination
sample_directory = /etc/postfix/sample
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias, mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_forwards.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:5003
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmailer
virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit = 51200000
virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailboxes.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 5003
virtual_uid_maps = static:5003
[root@ruckus1 george]#

Edit: I should note that I know that the user is valid and is in the mysql table.

Last edited by Ruckus (2008-09-20 02:55:23)

#2 2008-09-20 07:24:38

byte

Re: PostFix Help

If this is your first experience with mail servers, then I'd strongly suggest to adhere to KISS and eliminate all thoughts of databases, webmail, imap, fetchmail/procmail etc.
Start with local delivery to local users (via 'sendmail'), then try smtp delivery to localhost, after that try it from an external ip, switch between mbox and maildir, keep an eye on /var/log/maillog and /var/mail... etc.

You won't have fun with mailservers without a basic knowledge of the protocols involved and any how-to for such a complex setup is just asking for trouble. Copy and paste, the Gentoo disease.

#3 2008-09-20 07:32:47

Ruckus

Re: PostFix Help

byte wrote:

If this is your first experience with mail servers, then I'd strongly suggest to adhere to KISS and eliminate all thoughts of databases, webmail, imap, fetchmail/procmail etc.
Start with local delivery to local users (via 'sendmail'), then try smtp delivery to localhost, after that try it from an external ip, switch between mbox and maildir, keep an eye on /var/log/maillog and /var/mail... etc.

You won't have fun with mailservers without a basic knowledge of the protocols involved and any how-to for such a complex setup is just asking for trouble. Copy and paste, the Gentoo disease.

Honestly, I had planned to wait to tackle it once I had a bigger server, (right now im squezing a full LAMP out of a VPS with 128 mb ram), but today I moved a very active forum over to my VPS, and it needed the ability to send emails, which it now has, but I thought I might as well set the whole thing up.

But, I still think the Wiki has an error. It seems to reference this one file as if you used it previously, when in fact you had not. It may be a simple typo or something, I'm not sure. I thought I had followed it perfectly up to that point.

Board footer