You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-09 18:23:25

lomix

Router/Client/Internet Problem

Hi,
here`s my (little?) Problem:
I`m using Internet & LAN with an ADSL-Router.
All works fine, but on some Web-Sites (for example ebay.de) my Router kills the connection. Then I just can reset the router.
Now I have found out that this Problem is because of the MTU-Size on the Router and on the machines. My Router`s MTU-Size is 1492 and on the Window-Machine I tried out a MTU from 1452. With this setting it`s a little bit better but not perfect.
On my Arch System (static IP on eth0) I do not know how to change the mtu-settings.
Is it true to change it in /etc/ppp/options? I can`t believe it because my Router is connecting the Internet and not the Arch-System??
And does anybody know what`s a good MTU-Size to get it working?
Or is it only a question of "try and error"?
I hope you can understand what my problem is (I know, bad english smile ) and thank you for all answers.
Greetings from Germany to this very good Forum!
Lomix

WS : Asus P4PE-X, P4 2.4 GHz HT, GF2 MX400
Slackware 10.0 :Kernel 2.8.1 / Xorg 6.8.1 / KDE 3.3
Arch-Linux Wombat 0.7: still in Heaven after HDD-Crash

#2 2004-07-09 19:26:09

sarah31
Website

Re: Router/Client/Internet Problem

i think you can change it using ifconfig. i don't know how to permanently set it. id o know that having anything uncommented in /etc/ppp/options can cause problems (in my case i cannot connect at all). if it is killing selective sites perhaps it is more than just your connection (ie maybe a java?)

you should be happy that your ebay connection is getting killed ebay is a bad place. after five years and all sorts of deteriorating services and increasing charges i dumped them. thankfully my last transaction was with a german ... the best people i have dealt with on ebay were germans.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-07-09 20:05:38

lomix

@ sarah31
on my Arch I don`t need ebay ;-) , I do not deal there because the prices of all what`s interesting for me are much to high!
A few years ago it was a good place but today--there are better places than ebay. But it`s an intersting fact that (I think only ebay) kills my connection.
The Win-Machine is only for my wife and ebay is her hobby ;-) Because of that I have to find out what`s the reason....otherwise there is no peace at home smile
Thank you, I`ll try it using ifconfig because it`s not only a problem with Win, on Arch/SID ebay is killing it too.
Very interesting, I really do not know other sites with this problem.
Maybe I`ll write a mail to ebay without any hope of answers...
Nice Weekend!

#4 2004-07-09 20:12:57

ravster
Website

You said you have a ADSL router, right? Then you do not have anything to do with ppp. As far as your computer is concerned, you have a normal ethernet connection.

My connection seems to be the same as yours(computer->router->internet) and the MTU of eth0(given by ifconfig) is1500. The MTU of the router would be 1492 since this is the PPPoE specification(I read up on this while using a direct pppoe link).

'man ifconfig' says to use

ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500

assuming eth0 is your interface name.

#5 2004-07-09 20:46:16

sarah31
Website

lomix wrote:

@ sarah31
on my Arch I don`t need ebay ;-) , I do not deal there because the prices of all what`s interesting for me are much to high!
A few years ago it was a good place but today--there are better places than ebay.

amen to that. i have built up enough necessary outside contacts with a few europeans that should do for my music needs that cannot be fulfilled through local stores.

Thank you, I`ll try it using ifconfig because it`s not only a problem with Win, on Arch/SID ebay is killing it too.
Very interesting, I really do not know other sites with this problem.
Maybe I`ll write a mail to ebay without any hope of answers...
Nice Weekend!

i haven't had a problem with eBay in arch on my end perhaps it is a eBay germany issue?

like you say you could go through the hassle of emailing them perhaps you could get a real answer from them. they just gave me the textbiook responses.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-07-09 21:02:17

lomix

Hi @ all,
now I have tried out different MTU-Settings by using ifconfig (thank you ravster for "man ifconfig", sometimes I forget the really first and basic kind of help (*g*);-) )
But ebay doesn`t works.
The Problem (here in Germany) seems to be well known by some users (but not at all), maybe it`s a Router-Problem or a ...I don`t know.
Next days I`ll try to find out what`s going wrong there.
I hope that nobody here is a little bit angry because this is no special "Arch-Problem".
A nice weekend to all of you,
Greetings Lomix

#7 2004-07-13 20:39:57

lomix

Hi,
after a few days of searching for an answer today I have found out what`s the way is.
Ebay in Germany is using new software since round about 2 month and some Routers don`t work with this ebay-Soft.
If here`s someone with this problem (from Germany)
do that (if you`re using T-Online):
If you`re using Mozilla (weiter nun in deutsch):
Bearbeiten/Einstellungen/Proxies:
http-Proxy: www-proxy.btx.dtag.de   Port 80
ftp-Proxy: ftp-prox.btx.dtag.de   Port 80
Gopher-Proxy : gopher-proxy.btx.dtag.de Port 80

Im IE gleiche Einstellungen unter Verbindungen/LAN/...

Nun klappt es wieder.
Der Weg ist ausdrücklich nur für T-Online-User.
For all the others here, I`m sorry that I post this in this Forum but maybe other users have this problem and are searching for an answer like mine.
I think that it is O.K. to write this here for finding an end of this topic.

@ sarah31 : My wife is totally happy and now there is peace at home ;-)

#8 2004-07-13 20:42:11

ravster
Website

What effect can software have that wouldn't agree with routers? I mean, a router simply has to forward packets, right?

#9 2004-07-13 20:58:48

lomix

Hi ravster,
I do not know what ebay has done, I`ve found this tip in the ebay-Forum where lots of people had posted the same Problem.
With different Routers. O.K., the people in the forum had written about some new software, I don`t know.
But with this way it works fine.
Greetings

#10 2004-07-13 20:59:11

sarah31
Website

ravster wrote:

What effect can software have that wouldn't agree with routers? I mean, a router simply has to forward packets, right?

this is ebay we are talking about ... they are more evil than MS. they always have the tendency to introduce something without very much testing.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#11 2004-07-13 21:07:58

ravster
Website

More evil than M$?
/me quakes in fear(Oh, the humanity sad ) wink

#12 2004-07-13 21:11:01

sarah31
Website