You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-28 23:46:42

pacchiee

Getting back runlevel 3

How to boot Archlinux to get the default runlevel 3 instead of runlevel 5? I simply tried to use xde login manager, but it doesn't work. The login screen appears and on username & password input, it doesn't let me in. I was thinking if I can get back to runlevel 3, it would be easy to edit /etc/inittab. Any help?

#2 2008-09-28 23:54:38

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Re: Getting back runlevel 3

Edit /etc/inittab

## Only one of the following two lines can be uncommented!
# Boot to console
id:3:initdefault:
# Boot to X11
#id:5:initdefault:

That should make arch boot into console mode, unless you have a login manager starting up in your /etc/rc.conf file (kdm/gdm/ etc)

#3 2008-09-28 23:58:00

pacchiee

crouse wrote:

Edit /etc/inittab

Now, the problem is that as soon as I boot my system it goes into the login screen from where am not able to login. I was actually meant to ask if there is something to be done to enter console mode on boot.

#4 2008-09-29 00:00:59

crouse
Website

Why can't you login ???

#5 2008-09-29 00:06:04

pacchiee

I don't have any idea, am totally new to Arch. Actually, got the base system installed and then installed Xfce using pacman. At this point I was able to login from console and then use

startxfce4

to enter GUI. Thought to install a login manager and did

pacman -S xorg-xdm

From there the problem started; I get the login screen but if giving username and password, it again comes back to the login screen.

Last edited by pacchiee (2008-09-29 00:06:42)

#6 2008-09-29 00:09:51

AD28

You can try ctrl+alt+f1 to bring up a terminal.. or just mount your system with a livecd and edit your inittab.

FYI I remember I could never figure out how to get xdm to work.. if you want a login manager, I would suggest slim.

#7 2008-09-29 00:14:18

crouse
Website

pacchiee wrote:

I don't have any idea, am totally new to Arch. Actually, got the base system installed and then installed Xfce using pacman. At this point I was able to login from console and then use

startxfce4

to enter GUI. Thought to install a login manager and did

pacman -S xorg-xdm

From there the problem started; I get the login screen but if giving username and password, it again comes back to the login screen.

Try logging in from a different vc  After linux boots up, try hitting CTL+ALT+F5  (puts you into console mode on vc5)  CTL+ALT+F7 takes you back to WHATEVER your normal session is....... if it's borked, it takes you BACK to the same borked session... it will need fixed obviously if it is.  Try logging in on vc 5....

#8 2008-09-29 00:46:35

moljac024

AD28 wrote:

You can try ctrl+alt+f1 to bring up a terminal.. or just mount your system with a livecd and edit your inittab.

FYI I remember I could never figure out how to get xdm to work.. if you want a login manager, I would suggest slim.

I never understood xdm neither.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#9 2008-09-29 01:06:11

pacchiee

CTRL+ALT+F5 worked!! Then I edited the /etc/inittab to make console as default. Its now back to normal, from console I enter desktop using startxfce4.

1. Is there any need to use a login manager with Arch or better use the console login and then enter GUI?
2. In Xfce, many options are missing, like changing the time, selecting timezone, changing system language etc. Why so?

We should install everything from pacman when getting Arch on a new machine. Is there any way to get all the packages I have installed in one machine on a CD and use it for installing in another machine?

#10 2008-09-29 01:35:51

crouse
Website

pacchiee wrote:

CTRL+ALT+F5 worked!! Then I edited the /etc/inittab to make console as default. Its now back to normal, from console I enter desktop using startxfce4.

1. Is there any need to use a login manager with Arch or better use the console login and then enter GUI?

Glad you got in wink
There is no "need" to use a login manager, unless you want to, you CAN use console, login, then "startx" if you prefer, I don't prefer to, but, thats just me wink

I usually install GDM and edit /etc/rc.conf and put @gdm in the "DAEMONS" line.

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @network @netfs @hal !autofs @gdm @openntpd @crond @sshd @httpd @mysqld @portmap @fam @postfix @cups)

After doing this, gdm will START every time you logout/reboot. You would have to start it manually the first time, or reboot....... your choice.  After that, I usually edit my ~.xinitrc file.  I use KDE, so mine looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
# exec wmaker #installed
exec startkde # installed
# exec openbox # installed
# exec icewm
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox # installed
# exec fvwm # installed
# exec enlightenment # installed
# exec xfce

Notice my kde line is uncommented....  gdm and kdm will allow you to CHOOSE your session type as well....

gdm has several themes to choose from as well.  I like both gdm and kdm, you CAN use gdm with kde and kdm with gnome...... it just sounds a bit odd to do so, but you can wink  There are several other login managers as well..... slim, enter, entrance-svn(for E17)........ I suggest starting with gdm though, it's very straightforward, at least it was for me.  Hope that helps.

[root@localhost ~]# pacman -Ss gdm
extra/archlinux-themes-gdm 1.2-1
    Archlinux greeter theme for the GNOME login manager
extra/gdm 2.20.1-2 (gnome-extra)
    Gnome Display Manager (a reimplementation of xdm)
community/gdm-themes 2.4-4
    Nice themes for GDM

Suggested reading: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM

Last edited by crouse (2008-09-29 01:38:28)

#11 2008-12-03 05:17:22

Fuzzy_SPb

I have the same problem. After last update I have edited my xorg.conf and it seems that I make some mistake in it. Now my PC boots into KDM and I can't enter username/password (KDM just don't show any reaction on my mouse or keyboard). Key combinations like Ctrl-Alt-Fn don't work also.  In other distributiions such things can't be solved very easy by pressing "I" for interactive boot.
But how to do this in Arch? How to disable X starting? I need to get into console and fix my xorg.conf.

Need you help and advices.

Mandriva -> Fedora -> ArchLinux (and CentOS sometimes)

#12 2008-12-03 05:27:44

Allan
Pacman
Website

You would be better starting a new thread rather than bumping an old post like this...

Anyway, you can hit "e" or something like that to edit you grub entry.  The add "ro 3" at the end of your kernel line. e.g.

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro 3

#13 2008-12-03 05:28:07

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Fuzzy_SPb wrote:

I have the same problem. After last update I have edited my xorg.conf and it seems that I make some mistake in it. Now my PC boots into KDM and I can't enter username/password (KDM just don't show any reaction on my mouse or keyboard). Key combinations like Ctrl-Alt-Fn don't work also.  In other distributiions such things can't be solved very easy by pressing "I" for interactive boot.
But how to do this in Arch? How to disable X starting? I need to get into console and fix my xorg.conf.

Need you help and advices.

It's usually better to start a new thread for a new problem... But anyway...

When grub comes up, press 'e' to edit your boot entry, then go down to the line that starts with 'kernel' and add the word 'single' to the end of it without the quotes. Press enter, and then 'b' to boot.

That should take you to single user mode where you can edit your xorg.conf file. By the sound of it, you're having the same problems many others are having with the new xorg...

#14 2008-12-03 07:59:22

Fuzzy_SPb

Thank you for your replies. I think it will be enough for me.
And from my point of view this topic is the right place for such a small question smile

Mandriva -> Fedora -> ArchLinux (and CentOS sometimes)

Board footer