You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-03 16:02:08

chaosgeisterchen

Random wireless connection problems

Good evening,

since some time (I cannot really trace the date back) I face problems concerning my wireless NIC and its connection. It normally works flawless with very good response time (1-2 ms ping to router), but it randomly deals with phases wherein it is unable to grasp a connection to the router. I was not able to trace back the problem, which is straining my nerves a bit. I usually cope with the problem by tinkering with the position of the antenna, until ping delivers results again.

First, to the technical details. The network card is a 05:01.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface, according to the output of lspci. As for the network drivers, I use the windows driver under ndiswrapper-1.52, but the problem traces back to releases prior to that. It is also not kernel-related as it exists ever since I started using ndiswrapper als driver solution instead of tiacx.

Does anyone of you have any clue what my problem may be? I use a wireless mouse (Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical Wireless) and suspected it to interfer with the wireless network connection, but continued facing the problems after plugging it out - it therefore is not the culprit. I have tried swapping the antennas (using a very big linksys one) and still had the problems - I suspect them software-sided, as the wireless works flawlessly with my notebook (Windows XP, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG).

Thanks in advance for your assistance in tracking down the problem in advance.

Regards,
cg

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#2 2008-10-03 16:57:39

byte

Re: Random wireless connection problems

I've never used ndiswrapper, only tiacx, and I only know about those "card too hot / recalibration / DUPs" messages in dmesg. But then, I've almost always used the card with foreign networks in suboptimal distances, so I wouldn't complain about that. Sometimes reloading the module helped for a while.

#3 2008-10-04 00:09:35

iphitus
Forum Fellow

It is also not kernel-related as it exists ever since I started using ndiswrapper als driver solution instead of

If it started when you began using ndiswrapper instead of tiacx, then it could well be ndiswrapper.

#4 2008-10-05 11:49:59

chaosgeisterchen

I tried out tiacx for a change but did not notice any improvements - the random timeouts persist and still, I am unable to rely on a stable connection. Both drivers seem to deliver the same result for me.

Any ideas what the problem could be on a different level?

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

Board footer