You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-09 05:18:34

SomeGuyDude

PEAP encryption over wired network?

I have Wicd in LXDE and loving it, but the problem is there isn't wireless availability in my room. So I'm trying to find a way to connect to PEAP over wired, an issue which the Wicd people say they've never run into.

The example configs and everything else seems to be geared toward wireless, but there's almost nothing I can find for encryption over wired, and frankly I can't do EVERYTHING in the building lobby.

----------FIXED----------

I had Arch before and liked it just dandy, but switched for a little while to Ubuntu. Now I'd like to try it again, but I've got a problem: I'm on a University network and both the hardwire and the wireless are encrypted. The wireless is WPA enterprise and the wired is 802.1x, both are PEAP Version 0 with MSCHAPv2.

I had absolutely no problem getting Arch setup back home when I could use the ethernet cable and get everything downloaded/installed, then I'd throw Wicd into the mix and bingo bango I'm set up. Problem is all my googling and searching has given me no indication of how to proceed with installation if my network requires authentication. It's proving a bit of a roadblock.

-------END OLD PROBLEM---------

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2008-10-20 05:57:10)

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#2 2008-10-09 06:29:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: PEAP encryption over wired network?

All the required utilities are included on the install ISO - iwconfig, wpa_supplicant, etc. Read the man pages, and search the net for examples. If you're still stuck, ask here again.

#3 2008-10-13 19:11:34

SomeGuyDude

And now there's a new problem. You were great help Tom, I got everything rolling with iwlwifi but that only got me so far, now I need wired.

#4 2008-10-20 05:56:43

SomeGuyDude

Anyone on this one? I'm hurting.

#5 2008-11-10 22:33:28

Cheesebaron
Website

We have a simmilar setup at our dorms, and my config looks like this for wpa_supplicant

network={
        key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
        eap=PEAP
        phase1="peaplabel=0"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
        ca_cert="/path/to/root.crt"
        identity="" #your username
        password="" #your password
}

Use the wired driver, and it should work.

Last edited by Cheesebaron (2008-11-10 22:34:30)

Board footer