You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-09 22:10:53

Mr.Macdonald

Forcing an installation

my problem requires some crazy Linx GURU, Linus I need you

I am attempting to install Archlinux, and I managed to destroy my system.

I used the Installation from existing Linux. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … ting_Linux

Heres and overview

Basically the guide has you install Arch in the folder /newarch using the archlinux package manager. At the end I figured (incorrectly) that i was supposed to delete every thing but the /newarch folder and move its contents into /. After deleting everything but /newarch I realized that I had deleted Bash!?!?!?!

Now I am booting off of a Ubuntu Live disk because the Archlive didn't work. I still want Arch, and I managed to edit and set my fstab straight, and moved the /newarch to /, not the live disks / but the drive where / resides. Basically I got the drives to the point I think they should be, but look where I got me.

So now that I think I can boot my system, I restart and I got a Grub Error 15?? I believe (not sure) that it means that Grub doesn't know where to start the boot. So I would need to make a drive bootable. But I also managed to make this harder. I have partitioned my drive and now have a different partition for /boot /tmp /home / and /data (I already setup fstab for this and moved appropriate files to the right partitions).

So ... what now. Do I make my /boot partition bootable or the / partition, and how? I would really not like to reinstall Ubuntu. But reinstalling Grub or something else is fine.

Thank You for saving my system!!

#2 2008-10-10 00:45:21

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Forcing an installation

If you've hosed your system anyway... Can't you just do a fresh, clean 'normal' installation from the LiveCD?

#3 2008-10-10 02:37:32

kaola_linux

Re: Forcing an installation

Did you deleted the old partitions of your hd and replaced them?  If so, better try SystemRescueCd it is a live cd and includes various tools including testdisk which is very helpful for system repairs...Good luck

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Last edited by kaola_linux (2008-10-10 02:48:45)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

Board footer