You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-27 19:47:24

rochus

iwl3945 is driving me nuts

Hello everybody,

Allright, after .27 kernel went into stable and updating the system urged me to upgrade my ipw3945 to iwlwifi, i thought i'd give the iwl-driver a new try. When iwl first came out I had serious problems with it so I abandoned it because with ipw3945 everything seemed to work properly. But I'm still stuck with some problems, namely:

* roaming does not work. Whenever i'm at the university (open wlan, no wpa at all, no hidden ssid) and want to go from one room to another where roaming would be required, my notebook (thinkpad T60) loses the wireless connection
* netcfg does not work properly when trying to connect. I tried all different quirks that are available in every single combination (yes, that took quite some time), but it couldn't connect reliably. Sometimes it just timed out, sometimes it simply couldn't assign to an AP (though the funny part was that, while netcfg did something and looking at the iwconfig-output every second, it try to associate to an AP but dropped that association right away). This last point brings me to the next point:
* setting the essid only won't always assign to an AP automatically - not to say that it just doesn't work in 5 out of 7 tries. This brings me to the next point:
* manually setting the AP won't work reliably, though an iwlist wlan0 shows that the AP has a signal quality around 75/100, the driver just won't associate. If this happens, I have to rmmod/modprobe iwl3945.

As a sidenote, downgrading to an older kernel is not an option.

Is there anyone who encounters the same problems? Or even better: are there any solutions to them?

best regards

#2 2008-10-27 20:33:50

ichbinesderelch

Re: iwl3945 is driving me nuts

nearly kinda same problems here, just to let you know that you are not alone tongue

#3 2008-10-27 20:47:59

Lord Illidan

Re: iwl3945 is driving me nuts

Hmm..I'm using NetworkManger for iwl3945 and it's working very well, both at home and at University..

Board footer