You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-08 23:23:52

bdika

WinXp Pro as Virtualbox Guest can't ping router/internet

Hi:

I am running Arch 64 and installed virtualbox_bin 2.0.4-1 from AUR and guest additions 2.0.2-1 from AUR.

I have installed as a guest os, WinXP Pro and set up bridge networking per

http://mychael.gotdns.com/blog/2007/05/ … -bridging/.

My Arch host works fine (it can access the internet and ping the guest WinXP Pro). My WinXP Pro guest can ping my Arch host and other local machines on my network. However it cannot ping my router or access or ping the internet.

I log onto the WinXP Pro as the Administrator and I have the firewall disabled, so I don't think it is being blocked on the XP side by anything.

As far as Arch goes, I have tried adding the host name of the WinXP Pro machine to /etc/hosts and put the ip adress of the XP machine into /etc/hosts.allow. Neither of these actions resulted in success. I don't think I have a firewall or other special security measures on my Arch? I just did a fresh ftp install yesterday and did not add ssh or other security measures that weren't included in the default install and the base-devel install.

My search of the forums turned up a similar problem to mine that was solved by removing the firewall in the WinXP guest. I have already done that still without success.

My uneducated guess is that the gateway ip is not getting to the guest. I am using static ip for both the Arch host and the WinXP guest. The WinXP guest says that it is connected and reports no problems. I tried using dhcp on the XP guest but that didn't work either.

Here is the network section of my /etc/rc.conf

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
BRIDGE_INTERFACES=(br0)
bridge_br0=(eth0)
br0="br0 192.168.1.201 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
eth0="eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc"
INTERFACES=(lo br0 eth0)

gateway="default gw 192.168.1.1"
ROUTES=(gateway)

Any help would be much appreciated.

bdika

#2 2008-11-08 23:37:35

damjan

Re: WinXp Pro as Virtualbox Guest can't ping router/internet

if virtualbox works the same as the user-space NAT in qemu (kvm also) ping and traceroute don't work from the inside the guest..  They could work if you set bridged or routed networking through tap interfaces, it's just it doesn't work with the simplest and by-default user-space NAT.

maybe the same issue?

#3 2008-11-09 05:56:00

bdika

Hi damjan:

Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not sure what you are saying? In your post are you suggesting that it just doesn't work? You may be right (I'm not skilled enough to know) but it seems from the posts at the bridging site that I used

[url]http://mychael.gotdns.com/blog/2007/05/ … -bridging/[/url]

that other people got the internet working on the guest using that author's method of bridging.

Do you have any other ideas?

Anyone?

Thanks.

bdika

#4 2008-11-11 13:51:52

Floris

Your configuration looks fine as far as I can see from your post, but before I dive into the scripts as recommended on the site you posted, I recommend you look at the Arch way of setting up bridging as explained on the Wiki.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vir … rch_way.29

Works like a charm.

#5 2008-11-11 21:16:50

bdika

Hi Floris:

Thanks for the reply.

I originally tried the Arch Way without success, that is why I tried the other way.

However at your suggestion, I have tried the Arch Way again, with the same results. That is I can ping other computers on my network but I can't ping my router nor access the internet from my guest.

Seeing that I have the same problem regardless of which method I use leads me to believe that it must be something simple and obvious that I am doing wrong. But what??! I have no idea.

Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

bdika

#6 2008-11-12 13:25:09

Floris

Since you can reach all other computers within your network but your router, my guess would be that you use MAC-address filtering in your router?? Your virtual network adapter has been given a random generated MAC address which might be unknown to the router??

#7 2008-11-13 01:28:58

bdika

Thanks Floris.

You were right on the money. I have mac filtering set up on my router and I forgot to enter the WinXP Pro's generated mac address. I have set up the mac address and can now access the internet from my WinXP Pro. This was not an issue with NAT, which may explain why I never thought of it. But you thought of it and I thank you.

Thanks to all for answering my post.

bdika

Board footer