You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-17 17:43:12

Mr. Swillis

[SOLVED] MD5 Checksum errors during "Install Packages"

Hey Guys,

I just download the 2008.6 CORE ISO from the Torrent. Running through the install now (not my first time, btw) and I'm getting an error during the Install Packages step. I didn't select anything beyond Base and there are 3 packages that are erroring out with "bad MD5 checksum". They are glibc, perl, and kernel. I double checked the checksum on my ISO and it looks good. Also tried burning a second disk. Anyone know of any "gotchas" with the 2008.6 disk from the Torrent?

Thanks!

Swill

Last edited by Mr. Swillis (2008-11-19 00:43:04)

And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

#2 2008-11-17 18:22:07

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [SOLVED] MD5 Checksum errors during "Install Packages"

Is your package source cd-rom or ftp?  In case of the latter, maybe your mirror was just in the middle of an update or something?

You can also try opening another shell and doing pacman -Syu first, before installing packages to the target system

Last edited by Dieter@be (2008-11-17 18:22:45)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#3 2008-11-17 19:16:44

Mr. Swillis

My package source was just the CD-ROM for the Core system. I'm not sure the pacman - Syu will necessarily work at the current state of the installation, since I'm still running in the live environment.

Swill

And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

#4 2008-11-17 19:25:14

Mr. Swillis

Ok, just downloaded a new CD from an FTP site, vs the Torrent and this time I got even more errors. Since the package source is CD-ROM, my guess is that the source of my issue is either A) the machine/software that's creating the disk or B) the disk drive on the system I am installing on. I'll troubleshoot further and post back with the results.

Thanks!

Swill

#5 2008-11-17 19:26:38

rson451
Website

I've had issues like this when my drive was going bad in the PC so hardware is definitely a possibility.  A work around would be to copy all the packages to a usb drive instead and mount the drive where the installer expects the packages to be.

Last edited by rson451 (2008-11-17 19:27:17)

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#6 2008-11-18 00:17:52

Mr. Swillis

Ok, so I tried changing the CD drive with a known working one on the machine I am trying to install on, and still getting the same errors. I suppose it's possible the machine I am burning the images with is having drive issues, but there's no other signs of failure. The burn process completes successfully and the CDs boot up just fine. They just error out when doing the checksum on the packages. Fortunately, I have another box I can pull out of the garage and test with later. If the disk fails on that one too, then I'll know it's either A) Image Source, B) Image Burn Software, or C) Image Burn Drive. 

Swill

#7 2008-11-18 01:05:37

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Mr. Swillis wrote:

The burn process completes successfully

What speed are you burning at? Try doing one at 4x as sometimes burning at high speed causes strange things...

Also, if the machine is new enough and can boot form USB - why not try the .img file? smile

Last edited by fukawi2 (2008-11-18 01:06:15)

#8 2008-11-18 01:21:33

Mr. Swillis

Actually, looks like it might be an I/O issue on the failing machine. I brought a damn-near-dead-really-old Dell out of my garage and it worked fine, so the disks must be good. Since both Disk drives I tested with failed on the original machine, I'll try swapping the IDE cable next to see if that's my problem. I'm pretty much down to that or the controller itself on the Motherboard at this point smile

Swill

#9 2008-11-18 03:41:18

Mr. Swillis

Heh, so on the boot screen, there is a second option "Legacy IDE Support". That was my guy! However the battle goes on. Getting segmentation faults now with "passwd", so I'm checking one of my other disks to see if it persists. This is probably one of my more challenging arch installations, but I found a bunch of cool old parts in my garage that I forgot I had smile

Swill

#10 2008-11-19 00:42:20

Mr. Swillis

Ok, for anyone that really cares, the root of all my problems was bad memory. Yep... bad memory. Fortunately, I had a copy of "Ultimate Boot Disk" lying around and ran memtest with various combinations of RAM until I found the one that was foiling my attempt to install Arch successfully. System is fully up and functional now.

Thanks!

Swill

Board footer