You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-02 01:33:25

yowwww

dsl with Arch

Ok, ive hunted for quite a while on this issue and people dont seem to have the answers. This is what I'd like to know...

I keep getting a timeout on trying adsl-start and the same values work on winfroze on the same box.

for setting up a straight direct dsl connection (no router):

(rp-ppoe is installed already and ethernet card is built into the kernel)

1 - how do I need to set up an rc.conf?

2 - what needs to be enabled in a custom kernel (2.6.7)?

I've tried creating an empty /etc/ppp/ppp.conf based on another post on this forum but im not sure this is correct.

anything else that would be needed?

Setting this up has been one of the biggest nightmares in all of my linux experience, it would be great to resolve it.

It has happened on two separate boxes using two separtate dsl providers - when I bring those boxes to a dhcp system at my place, everything works fine so it's definitely not hardware.

If im not asking the right questions here, please let me know. I need to get this sorted out.

#2 2004-08-02 05:40:51

sarah31
Website

Re: dsl with Arch

yowwww wrote:

1 - how do I need to set up an rc.conf?

add "adsl" to your DAEMONS=() array

2 - what needs to be enabled in a custom kernel (2.6.7)?

nothing

I've tried creating an empty /etc/ppp/ppp.conf based on another post on this forum but im not sure this is correct.

your /etc/ppp/options should be commented or empty.

anything else that would be needed?

once you have all your config files all set up do (as root):

/etc/rc.d/adsl stop (to be sure things are not already running, etc)

then:

/etc/rc.d/adsl restart

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-08-02 12:44:04

yowwww

Firstly, thanks very much for your response, but if only it was that easy.

it wont start and all of those thing have been done (except the adsl-stop which is not needed because it tries to start up at boot and wont)

if you are using a custom kernel, you dont need to make sure anything is enabled for ppp and such?

<*>   PPP (point-to-point protocol) support                                     x x  
  x x                          [ ]     PPP multilink support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)                              x x  
  x x                          [ ]     PPP filtering (NEW)                                                     x x  
  x x                          <*>     PPP support for async serial ports (NEW)                                x x  
  x x                          <*>     PPP support for sync tty ports (NEW)                                    x x  
  x x                          < >     PPP Deflate compression (NEW)                                           x x  
  x x                          < >     PPP BSD-Compress compression (NEW)                                      x x  
  x x                          <*>     PPP over Ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)         

above is what I usually enable.  If not then maybe that could be a conflict? Although I do recall trying *numerous* combinations at a different location and it working, but having very sporadic results - sometimes it would work on boot, sometimes not and it would also cause qt based apps to freeze when using the keyboard on them (weird but true).

I know his service can work because all I do with a live cd is use the adsl configuration tool and it works fine (knoppix). I know the ethernet card works because it works fine on cable/dhcp.

Any other ideas?

This is so frustrating, im halfway between losing my mind and just buying this guy a router if I cant solve this. The trouble is, there are other systems out there that I tech that are having similar issues and I would really like to get this fixed so I can stick with Arch for these people.

#4 2004-08-02 15:06:32

ravster
Website

Have you tried 'adsl-setup'?
I used to use direct dsl, but then I got a router with the second comp.
Do a 'man adsl-setup', it'll help you out. I think adsl-setup helps in putting up the ppp.conf file, so you would'nt have to mess around with it by hand.

Let us know how it goes.

#5 2004-08-02 17:04:30

sarah31
Website

well kernel-wise all you need enabled is what ever they have enabled in a stanadard kernel which is just some basic PPP/Network stuff that is common to enable regardless. Basically what you had enabled for dialup is what you need for PPPoE.

Like ravster you have to run adsl-setup. If you are dealing with sympatico then when you enter your username you have to be sure you include the @sympatico.ca. I assumed that you ran adsl-setup that is why I did not mention it.

All I have ever had to do is run adsl-setup, enter my info there, then start the daemon (making sure that the options file is empty or completely commented)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-08-03 01:46:53

yowwww

yup, your assumption was correct sarah31, I certainly did run adsl-setup otherwise there would be nothing to start. I forgot to mention it because I was of the same thinking.

Ive tried username@sympatico.ca and without the extension and neither seemed to work.

Im going to do a little more investigating into this, but ive also arranged to possibly get a router tomorrow which I really would rather not do especially considering I am planning on building an Arch server/router box shortly using dsl.

thanks for the further suggestions

Board footer