You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-27 00:56:11

handy

[SOLVED] Does Vidalia (Tor/Privoxy) insure anonymity in P2P network?

I don't like being tracked my Big Brother or the Marketroids.

So I always have Vidalia  running & have an ever growing & already huge list of sites who's cookies are always blocked, with a very small list of sites where their cookies are allowed, obviously due to my having Firefox ask me every time a cookie wants to stuff itself onto my machine.

So as the thread title says, does Vidalia (Tor/Privoxy) insure or at least help to prevent the location of my genuine IP & in effect my physical location on the planet when participating in P2P networking via torrents?

Is there a method/software that does truly make me invisible on the net?

I am using NAT modem/router for all it is worth.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by handy (2008-12-18 07:46:23)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2008-11-27 01:32:34

Wintervenom

Re: [SOLVED] Does Vidalia (Tor/Privoxy) insure anonymity in P2P network?

It would help, but using the TOR network for file sharing is frowned upon.

#3 2008-11-27 02:01:33

handy

Wintervenom wrote:

It would help, but using the TOR network for file sharing is frowned upon.

As it unnecessarily slows down the system I would think.

Is the NoScript Firefox add-on of any use in this regard?  I would think not, though I am looking for education on the subject?

Last edited by handy (2008-11-27 06:45:09)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#4 2008-11-27 07:37:34

anrxc
Website

ever growing & already huge list of sites <snip> every time a cookie wants to stuff itself onto my machine.

It would be a lot easier to mantain if you would block cookies by default and then allow a site in those rare occasions when you do... thus also getting rid of the pesky question every time you open a new page.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#5 2008-11-27 08:16:45

handy

It is a reflex reaction to deny these days, it may bring me a psychological empowerment.  Especially since I'm generally such an easy going diplomatic kind of person.  smile

Last edited by handy (2008-11-27 08:52:05)

I'm over it!

#6 2008-12-18 07:45:31

handy

I'm running IPCop on its own box (as it must be) with the Copfilter add-on which incorporates multiple add-ons to IPCop.  I'm running ClamAV, (though I don't believe I need it) &  a few other things including Privoxy which has fantastic config files included with it.

I'm just posting this here to say that Privoxy (& ClamAV) running on the standalone (PIII 731Mhz 256Mb RAM) IPCop firewall does not noticeably slow our machines down at all.  As opposed to the situation when it is running on individual machines.  It is totally transparent, you would never even know that it is being run, though the logs verify that it is. :-)

Apparently setting Tor up on an IPCop installation is possible, but really quite difficult.

I'm over it!

Board footer