You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-02 22:40:18

sand_man

NFS causing shutdown to hang

OK I'm going to try to explain this as best I can.
I have a laptop which accesses an NFS share with mp3s on it. So mpd accesses this share.
When I shutdown mpd fails at "stopping" and then it says that it cannot unmount the NFS share (because mpd did not stop) then it gets to something like "killing processes used by OSS" and this is where it hangs.

Now if I stop mpd manually before shutting down I don't have a problem and it shuts down cleanly. If I put "/etc/rc.d/mpd stop" in rc.local.shutdown, the same thing happens. It does not stop and it hangs the same as before. The only way I can overcome this is by putting "pkill mpd" in rc.local.shutdown. This works but it's kind of hackish.

Now my other problem which I'm not sure if anyone can help with, is that this same thing is happening on a desktop I have which is running Ubuntu 8.10 with ALSA. It gets to something like "Unloading ALSA" and it just hangs. This machine is not using mpd. If I umount the NFS share it says it is busy even if I do not actually access it myself.

The reason I put the Ubuntu problem in here is because it is obviously the same problem. Although I still can't work out why mpd fails to stop on shutdown. By the way, I have tried mounting the NFS share as hard and soft and neither makes a difference.

Any ideas?

neutral

#2 2008-12-04 03:06:41

sand_man

Re: NFS causing shutdown to hang

Nobody has any ideas about this? I can live with killing mpd before shutting down so maybe I should take the other issue over to the Ubuntu forums (never thought I would find myself posting over there wink)

neutral

Board footer