You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-17 23:15:09

omgwtfbyobbq

I've been compromised, maybe.

A suspicious charge popped up on my debit card, and I'm guessing it was had through my computer since that's the only way I can see someone getting it. I'm going to go w/ a complete wipe and I was wondering if it was safe to keep my data (mostly music/video files) or if I should just wipe everything?

#2 2008-12-17 23:38:47

Gullible Jones

Re: I've been compromised, maybe.

Do you have CD/DVD backups? I hope you do....

#3 2008-12-17 23:43:44

Procyon

Definitely it's safe to keep. Even config files, but do look through them. The dangerous things will be executables and libraries.

#4 2008-12-18 00:08:05

omgwtfbyobbq

No CD/DVD backups, but I figure worst case scenario I can just wipe everything except for my data partition and just in case I'll only use this computer for my day to day stuff while using another rig w/ more security for transactions. Maybe even one time use CC numbers if my bank offers them, since that would make acquisition of 'em pointless? Shoot, for all I know I could've been dumb enough to have been using tor or something during a transaction. yikes

#5 2008-12-18 01:26:09

iBertus

If you've ever used that card to pay for food at a local restaurant or used it to book a room at a hotel, then that's likely how your card information was stolen. This scam pops up from time-to-time where someone takes time to write down your info becore giving back the card.

Also, a general rule of thumb for online transactions is to use a credit card, not a debit card. At least if the credit card number is stolen the crook won't overdraft your banking account and also the credit card companies tend to offer superious fraud protection versus debit cards.

#6 2008-12-18 14:51:47

omgwtfbyobbq

I don't recall using that card to pay for anything at a local restaurant, but I have used it to pay for gas and there have been publicized scams where people posing as repair persons will replace the credit card reader w/ their own version. Fortunately I didn't have much in there and I can file a dispute to get the small sum they took back, but I figure more security never hurt anyone.

#7 2008-12-18 19:56:20

iBertus

I agree, more security is always better.  Now I'm going to be paranoid about using a card to buy gas. I don't really see how you could beat that scam if the card reader was rigged. I also heard about something similar happening at some retail stores where the card readers were connected to a POS terminal with a standard PS-2 connector and someone put a keystroke recorder inline between the reader and POS.

Years ago, I worked for a major US retailer and all of the card readers were built into standard PS-2 keyboards.

Board footer