You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-19 12:25:24

mrorange

[SOLVED] Boot problems after system upgrade

hi everybody,

first of all i have to say, that the machine where i installed Arch is pretty old (something around 5 years).

I already tried installing Arch two times and every time after i performed a system upgrade, i couldn't boot arch.
Before the upgrade i rebooted several times to ensure that its working with the brand new installation - it worked.

Here i'm the 3rd try. This time i configured packman to ignore the kernel package and voila its working now with kernel 2.6.25.6-1.

So, here is my question: Is there any problem that could appear later on if i never upgrade the kernel?

I'm quite new to linux and really appreciate your support.

Regards
Daniel

Last edited by mrorange (2010-02-25 21:35:32)

#2 2008-12-19 12:41:04

ralvez
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Boot problems after system upgrade

Well ... the kernel, like any other piece of program, from time to time has to be patched if they find a bug in it.
Never upgrading means that you do not get the benefit of security and improvements patches.
There is also the issue that some programs, a few, may want to have a certain kernel to run but I think that is less common.

I, for instance, have not upgraded the kernel for a few months now because it screws up my wifi.

If you can live with that then  you are OK. cool

R.

#3 2009-01-03 15:44:49

mrorange

thx for your reply.
btw, i'm at that point you we're talking about:

i can't install the nvidia driver (nvidia-173xx) because of the older kernel version!
Is there any other way to get the driver running with kernel 2.6.25.6-1? (i guess the driver was already existing as this kernel was released, so there must be)

Best regards
daniel xD

#4 2009-01-03 16:16:42

pyther
Website

You can use abs to install the nvidia-173xx kernel, look that up int he wiki.

What error messages do you get with the newer kernel? There might be a simply switch pass in grub/lilo...

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#5 2009-01-03 16:47:54

mrorange

hm...actually i dont get any error message, it just stops booting after udev / mounting local file system (that's also the reason why i've just reinstalled Arch instead of downgrading the kernel)

So, thats what ABS is used for...*g* I will give ABS a try!

THX for quick reply

Board footer