You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-21 16:14:38

Neuro

Network UTility

Hi,

I've just stumbled upon Network UTiliti which is a deamon based network manager with both a CLI and QT frontends communicating via DBUS.

It's features seem promising: providing multiple "environments" (configurations) per device, loading user-defined scripts and detecting environments by different means (assigned IPs, WLAN names etc).

It seems to me that it's doing everything netcfg's doing (nice CLI interface, loading of scripts) and it doesn't seem to be as complicated as NetworkManager.  I can't talk out of experience, because due to lack of time I haven't used it myself (no time to write a decent PKGBUILD) but I think it would be nice to have it available for arch.

Has anyone tried it? Anyone got a PKGBUILD? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

#2 2008-12-21 20:28:34

EnvoyRising

Re: Network UTility

I while back someone was asking for NUT, so I started a PKGBUILD on this thread:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=53399 .

Unfortunately, it turns out that the build process is more complicated than I had first imagined, and since I didn't use NUT I didn't attempt to make the neccessary changes.

Perhaps you could finish it, or inspire someone else to. I myself am happy with wicd, so still have no interest in it.

Board footer