You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-21 19:02:49

BetterButterBuddha

Deceptive wireless setup problem

Hi there -

I have just put Arch successfully on my T400, and it is working like a dream. However, I'm experiencing what I expect is a trivial problem getting my wireless card up and running. If I follow the directions on wireless setup in the wiki, everything (seemingly) goes beautifully - my iwlwifi-5000 firmware is installed, my module is loaded during startup, I can turn the card on with "ifconfig wlan0 up", I can scan correctly for access points, and connect to them. I even get a lease when running dhcpcd. However, despite all these good signs, I can't connect! I feel there must be a simple solution to this problem, but I cannot for the life of me see what it is. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-BBB

#2 2008-12-21 22:34:31

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Deceptive wireless setup problem

What is exactly wrong?

More details would help "it doesn't work" says nothing.

How are you connecting to wireless? What isn't working? what errors are you getting? output?

Last edited by iphitus (2008-12-21 22:36:40)

#3 2008-12-23 00:19:18

BetterButterBuddha

I know that "it doesn't work" isn't very helpful, but it's really all I have. I'm connecting using an Intel WiFi Link 5300. I use "ifconfig", and my card is recognized as "wlan0", I use "iwlist wlan0 scan", and I can pick up on all the hubs nearby, I use "iwconfig wlan0 essid [name]", and I use "dhcpcd wlan0"... and everything seems to work. I am given no errors whatsoever, no negative output, dhcpcd says I have a lease for 300 seconds...

It's simply that, when I try to use firefox, or ping a site like google, or do anything net-related, there is no connection. I have no idea how to debug this.

#4 2008-12-23 06:08:52

bas1
Website

BetterButterBuddha wrote:

I know that "it doesn't work" isn't very helpful, but it's really all I have. I'm connecting using an Intel WiFi Link 5300. I use "ifconfig", and my card is recognized as "wlan0", I use "iwlist wlan0 scan", and I can pick up on all the hubs nearby, I use "iwconfig wlan0 essid [name]", and I use "dhcpcd wlan0"... and everything seems to work. I am given no errors whatsoever, no negative output, dhcpcd says I have a lease for 300 seconds...

It's simply that, when I try to use firefox, or ping a site like google, or do anything net-related, there is no connection. I have no idea how to debug this.

Could you post the output of

time ping -c 3 google.com

and

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Also, try pinging your router. I don't know what IP address your router has, but if my suspicions are correct, your DNS config (/etc/resolv.conf) maybe setup wrong for whatever reason. If you can ping your router but not google.com, then it's either something wrong with your internet connection or the aforementioned DNS settings.

If it does turn out to be a bad DNS config, then try a different DNS server like OpenDNS. Their servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Arch FTW!!!

#5 2008-12-23 15:39:07

zenlord
Website

The same behaviour was seen with dhcpcd prior to version 4.0.7 and is reported to be fixed in 4.0.7. Your problem could be related. Upgrade to a newer version or remove dhcpcd in favour of dhclient (for testing purposes only - this is really easy to revert...

Zl.

Board footer