You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-24 10:36:05

spock

Boot annoyances with serial console

Hey,

I've been having some issues getting serial console to work smoothly with archlinux, and I think I might have stumbled upon a bug. I should say that I am a fairly new user to archlinux, so I might have missed something here.

The way to get serial console (headless server) set up is pretty well detailed in the Wiki page (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wor … al_console), but no matter what quirks and workarounds I try I can't seem to fix my problem.

This is what happens when the kernel is booted with: console=ttyS0,9600

:: Running Hook [keymap]
:: Loading keymap...KDSKBMODE: Invalid argument
kbd_mode: error setting keyboard mode
KDSKBENT: Invalid argument
failed to bind key 1 to value 27
failed to bind key 2 to value 49
failed to bind key 3 to value 50
failed to bind key 4 to value 51
<cut away a few hundred lines of the same here>
loadkeys: cannot deallocate or clear keymap

These errors are being spitted out until it has tried to bind every key twice (iirc), which takes something like 20-30 seconds. What happens is that loadkeys is trying to allocate keys for the serial console, which cannot happen. It's mainly just an annoyance, but I would like to fix the issue somehow.

One possibility is to add "console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0" so that it can load the keys to the normal console (tty0, vc/1, whatever), but then the console output from the initscripts doesnt show up on the serial line any longer (but the kernel output does). If i reverse the boot options "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600", I run into the same issue again.

Another possibility is to omit the loadkeys functions in /etc/rc.sysinit, but thats not a very elegant way to do it I think (I do use keyboard and monitor sometimes!).

I think loadkeys must be told, somewhere during the boot process, that it should not use /dev/console, but instead /dev/tty0 (or /dev/vc/0 ?)

Maybe I'm completely off in my effort of trying to solve this, but I get the feeling there is a bug somewhere. Maybe in loadkeys itself? Anyway I would appreciate some input/help if there is any :-)

Board footer