You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-24 23:17:04

JoshuaK
Website

VNC Server

I am required to have VNC working on my Linux boxes. Not my choice, my dad's requirement. So what is the best way to get it to work? Tightvnc-server would not work for me, and that is what made me go to Mandriva for the time being. I dont like x0rfbserver as it brings up a non-needed box but its all that has worked for me. I use KDE 4 from the [extra] repo when I use Arch, so I would prefer to have a KDE VNC Server, but that is not a necessity. Requirements are listed below.

+Requirements+
|------------------|
| Must start on login
| Must always allow connections
| Must be able to force a PW to connect
| Must show an icon in the taskbar when being watched tongue
|------------------|
+-----------------+

Thanks for any help... Im new to VNC thats why I ask, please don't give me rude answers like "ITS RIGHT ON SUCH-AND-SUCH PAGE IN THE WIKI, DINGBAT!!!" or the likes. Thanks!:D:lol:

Meh has new account! This one left behind for history's sake...

#2 2008-12-25 14:14:23

dav7

Re: VNC Server

Well, x11vnc is probably the best solution. It offers everything you want, except for notification: it's designed to run completely hidden. That's worked for me so it hasn't been much of an issue.

But if you just want to know when you're being watched, you can just use the 'ss' program from the iproute package, and look for connections to you on port 5900. Alternatively, you could use this as an opportunity to learn C, and implement a simple system that launches an alert program just as x11vnc accepts a connection.

Thinking about it now... if you're looking for a discreet way of knowing when a connection is established and your keyboard's LEDs can easily attract your attention, consider turning Scroll Lock on while there's a connection active... that would take quite a bit more C but would probably be really awesome. tongue

This would actually make a fun project... *gets carried away with ideas and features and switches to Geany...*

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-12-25 14:15:32)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-12-26 14:23:44

JoshuaK
Website

Re: VNC Server

Sounds good... I know nothing about C so ill just have to live with not knowing lol
Thanks for your help.

Meh has new account! This one left behind for history's sake...

Board footer