You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-30 18:02:41

cwacker

[SOLVED]networkmanager and dbus crashes

Short story:
I have always had problems with D-Bus, since i started with Ubuntu, went to fedora and later Arch. I don't think it has shut down correctly once, ever. Until now i haven't cared to fix the problem, but now I have problem starting it on Boot. Sometgin about /var/**/dbus/ socket already in use. When this happens nothing works and I have to reboot and hope for the best.

Soon after this Network Manager started to act weird, shutting down when failing to connect to a wireless network and so on. most recently i can't access internet through wired networks (although I can connect to them). This i discovered when my wireless router broke yesterday and I have had no problems ever conencting to internet through wire earlier.

I'm afraid my system is about to get really broken and i want to fix this before it drives me crazy and I have to reinstall hmm

I can post logs,confs and so on per request, since I don't have a clue how to fix this one and i don't have access to internet on said computer. Google hasn't helped me yet (first time for me that happened).

Please?

Edit: Fat thumbs that can't spell.

Last edited by cwacker (2009-01-02 02:01:17)

#2 2009-01-01 05:56:06

okplayer02

Re: [SOLVED]networkmanager and dbus crashes

well just for sake as far as network manager its a pain to use so i dont bother with it why dont u just use the network daemon instead for simplicity.

just for your sake remove the network manager unless it is a must for u i understand u use a laptop so do i.

as far as dbus can you post ur boot log so we can see what it is complaining about

i would look at hal also cause dbus uses hal to start up.
post your boot log and your rc.conf so we can see what services you are starting

Say what is good or keep silent  --Prophet Muhammad (SAW)

#3 2009-01-02 01:59:08

cwacker

Re: [SOLVED]networkmanager and dbus crashes

I've removed nw and replaced it with wicd. No more problem there. I also removed backgrounding for HAL in rc.conf. seems to have solved the startup issues with dbus. smile

Board footer