You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-03 06:08:22

killsto

Wireless connects via MAC address, but not with essid.

I have an eee 901 using the zeneee901 kernel. I got wireless to work out of the box to an extent. This will probably be easier to exlain just posting the commands.

ifconfig ra0 up
iwlist ra0 scan
iwconfig ra0 essid *essid here*
dhcpcd ra0
TIMEOUT GOES HERE
---------------------------------------
iwconfig ra0 ap MACADDRESS
dhcpcd ra0
Connected!

This wouldn't be so bad except I can'tuse Wicd. This was happening way before I installed Wicd btw.

What's the deal?

#2 2009-01-03 17:21:50

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Wireless connects via MAC address, but not with essid.

The way you do it I don't know, but in wicd you can select an option to associate by essid instead of mac address and it works fine for me.
Someone else might be able to answer your question. Maybe you can consider using another network connection manager, would makes things easier. Although knowing why it doesn't work is also good smile

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-01-03 19:01:08

killsto

R00KIE wrote:

The way you do it I don't know, but in wicd you can select an option to associate by essid instead of mac address and it works fine for me.
Someone else might be able to answer your question. Maybe you can consider using another network connection manager, would makes things easier. Although knowing why it doesn't work is also good smile

That's good, but I can't find that option. Where is it?

#4 2009-01-03 21:40:27

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

In the advanced settings, of the connection you want. Even if you don't use encryption go there and check the box "Use these settings for all networks sharing this essid".
I'm using wicd-svn 488-1 as the one on the repos had a little glitch when inputting the connection parameters, the interface would go away.
I don't if the wicd in the repos was updated already (must have been, I have been using this one for months now)

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer