You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-06 17:40:32

hbarnwheeler

Static node IP w/dhcp daemon on router/gateway

I live in a large house consisting of 3 suites.  The internet connection is provided by the landlord.  There is a router/gateway in the basement which serves all 3 suites with a shared cable connection.  It dispenses IP addresses to all connected machines via DHCP.  In my apartment, I have two machines connected to the outside world via the shared gateway.  I'd like one of these machines to serve as an internal print server, and would therefore like to give it a static internal IP.  My question:  If I give this machine a static IP, will this cause problems for the other machines on the network which receive dynamically assigned IP's by the gateway?  That is, will the dhcp server on the gateway "know" that one machine on the inside is using IP address 192.168.1.x and therefore not assign this IP address to another machine or am I asking for trouble/conflicts?

#2 2009-01-06 17:49:59

_.:D3jph:._

Re: Static node IP w/dhcp daemon on router/gateway

I think that giving your computer static IP should be ok, but i can't guarantee it. tongue

#3 2009-01-06 20:19:56

briest

Giving static IP in DHCP network may lead to problems. Here's a bunch of ideas you might find useful:
- assign static IP from another class; say, DHCP gives addresses like 192.168.0.xxx, then you can configure secondary addresses from 10.0.0.xxx network on both your machines and use them safely
OR
- make use of Cups 'browsing' ability - cups server can broadcast its printers for clients to connect. See Browsing/Browse* directives in cups documentation.
OR
- use Samba. Its name resolution protocol is based on broadcasts, so the printserver can be reached by its samba name, regardless of current IP. Then, you can export the printer via Samba or just use the name to identify your printserver. You'll need at least nmbd running on servers and nss_wins installed on client.

#4 2009-01-06 23:38:30

hbarnwheeler

Thanks briest.  I thought adding the secondary IP address would be the easiest solution, unfortunately, when I do so, the client cannot ping the machine running CUPS (presumably because the secondary IP is on a different subnet).  I have no admin access to the router, so I guess I will look into the "Browsing".

#5 2009-01-07 20:43:37

briest

You should add secondary IP on both server and client, of course, and it just HAS to work wink

#6 2009-01-07 22:32:11

hbarnwheeler

Thanks Briest.  When I couldn't ping, I figured I'd have to do that, but Windows didn't want to let me assign a secondary static IP to a NIC while DHCP was enabled.  It was either one DHCP assigned IP or 2 statics.  Eventually, I found a registry hack to force windows to accept the secondary static IP while still obtaining its primary IP via DHCP.  For anyone interested, here it is: http://www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip … _time.htm/

Board footer