You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-08 20:21:43

rubenwap

netfs daemon missing in action

Hello there,

This is my first post. A couple of months ago I installed Arch to my Eeepc 701, and I am not looking back!! I have already forgotten about ubuntu and all the rest! The light footprint of Arch and its ease of customization to my very exact needs are just what I need.

Since the asus is my secondary computer, I use it to experiment quite a lot, and as in all the experiments, sometimes there is stuff going wrong. Here I go, I hope this networking subforum is the one that better suits the needs for my question:

After installing splashy, I realized it was slowing down the boot too much. I uninstalled, including initscripts-splashy. I renamed again the innittab, rc.conf and other files that pacman had renamed with .pacsave

The tragedy came when on boot, arch couldn't find rc.multi and rc.sysinit. What I did was boot from a live SD card with eeebuntu, downloaded the package initscripts, and installed manually. Now it boots like a charm, but it's complaining that the netfs is missing. modprobe netfs does nothing, /etc/rc.d/netfs start does nothing... is just missing.

The thing is that I could forget about it, but I happen to use network filesystems, so I actually need it. I tried to discover which package contains netfs, so I can reinstall it, but no luck...

Any suggestions?

And an additional question: I might be wrong, because I am on holidays and I don't have my network to test at the moment, but netfs is the daemon you use to manipulate files over the network, for example with samba shares, right? Because that is the reason why I need it... If you tell me that I am wrong, and I can keep using the same without netfs, I will just forget about it.

Thank you in advance gents!

#2 2009-01-08 21:56:35

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: netfs daemon missing in action

Yes, /etc/rc.d/netfs is the init script that takes care of network file systems, and it's provided by the initscripts package. Does it exist on your system? If so, is it executable? You have already done what I was about to suggest i.e. reinstalling the initscripts package.

btw, netfs is just a script - there is no netfs module.

#3 2009-01-09 01:08:59

rubenwap

excellent stuff! that solved the problem. You know what happened? since I couldn't properly reinstall initscripts (because Arch wouldn't boot at all) I downloaded the tarball from the eeebuntu live SD card and I copied manually the files that were missing (that is: arch warned me about rc.mount and rc.sysinit) to the arch partition. I didn't copy the rest of files, afraid of smashing or overwriting something important, thus I didn't realize that netfs was in that same tarball, so I checked it again, I copied it over the proper folder, made sure it is on rc.conf, and there it goes, netfs loading perfectly.

#4 2009-01-09 10:32:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

Glad it's working again

For future reference - once you had the package downloaded, you should have rebooted into Arch and installed it with pacman -U. That way, you could be sure that all files were going in the right place.

Board footer